Chapter 24

"I don't get it, usually arranged marriages are illegal in some countries. Yet, in Ravendale, you had to get married." Ashley emphasized the word 'had'.

"Ravendale is weird like that, I can't explain why. I'm just not allowed to talk about it." I told Ashley and she just sighed.

"You know I almost broke James's heart by telling him that you got married for six months," Ashley said.

I sighed, I understood his pain. I promised that I would give him a chance, but I didn't know that my parents arranged marriage and I had to live pretty far from the border of Etria.

"Did he give up on me?" I looked up to her and asked. I would be sad if he gave up on me because when he confessed his feelings I was surprised and excited by the thought of having romance like all Etrians have and I don't have to dread marrying a Ravendalian.

Sure, Ravendalians do courtship with the person that they want to marry, but they never do a temporary relationship without a guarantee that you will marry that person.

There are some cases, but it's really rare.

I dreamed of having a boyfriend who can be my best friend and a lover, perhaps after 3 years of the relationship we would marry or we would break up. At least we would know if we meant for each other. Ravendalian courtship doesn't even last that long. If women are unsatisfied with their husband, they take a second husband, if they are unsatisfied with the second, they take the third husband, and so on.

And I want to marry a soul mate.

"No he didn't, he still has hope," Ashley answered.

He still has hope. Those words made me smile.

Later that day, we talked a little more, and then Ashley left the apartment.

I was tired and hungry, but the only thing left was leftover pizza. I didn't have time to go to the grocery store, tomorrow I should go to the grocery store and then go to the toy store and search for Elizabeth's birthday gift.

I microwaved the leftover pizza and ate. Then I went to my bedroom and looked at the beautiful scenery.

I remember the day when I barely had money to eat food because most of my money would go to the rent, then I started watching motorcycle races. When I felt confident, I placed a bet and won enough, so I don't have to pay for rent for three months. I kept a babysitting job and then did some volunteering and eventually I got the internship.

"Turn off the lights" As I said lights turned off automatically and I went to sleep.

In the morning after I checked my phone, I saw a few messages from James.

I guess he found out that I'm currently here in Etria and wants to meet me. I decided to call James and talk with him.

I haven't spoken with him for like a month. I smile at the thought of what we are going to talk about and how we will be spending time together.

He will ask about my marriage. I sighed.

James picks up the call.

"Anna, you are here in Etria? Could we meet up today?" James said usual calm tone.

"I'm sorry but today I do have some errands to run," I said in an apologetic tone.

"Can I join you?" James asked. I agreed and gave him my new address, so he could pick me up, and then he ended the call.

After I talked with James on the phone I smiled like a high school girl. Then I went to my bag to search for what to wear.

To my luck, all clothes in the bag need to be ironed. I hope this house has at least an iron or steamer.

I decided to look in the empty wardrobe, hoping there would be iron or a steamer at least.

I thought the wardrobe was empty until I opened the door and there was a closet room full of designer clothes, shoes, bags. I looked at the clothes and the clothes seemed to be my size.

I wanted to double-check the note to make sure that this was my room and then noticed another note on the shelf.

We asked your maid about your size, but we didn't know your style. I hope you are satisfied with our present.

-Alexander and Nathaniel.

There were some clothes that I would wear, but I felt guilty wearing them that my husbands bought me to impress James.

On the other hand, in Ravendale women would often take advantage of their first husband to gain a second husband. That didn't lessen my guilt.

I chose clothes that aren't too obvious that those clothes came from the high-end brand, but would still impress James slightly.

As a woman in love, it took a lot of time to choose, until I received a message from James that he was already waiting for me near the entrance of the apartment complex.

I chose a good pair of jeans that fits me, a cute top, white shoes, and a beige coat, and left the apartment without applying makeup.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
How can James compete with that? 😮

What do you think about Annabelle's attraction to James rather than being attracted to her husbands and pursue them?

Love reading your guys comments ^-^

See you guys later!