i. welcome to the family (number five)

a/n: hey guys, this is my first imagine. in this chapter, all the kids are 16 and five hasn't gone missing yet. it will also be written in 'i' but with your name on it. enjoy!
warnings: mild swearing and number five being a dickhead (but we love him anyway)

***

Everybody knew about The Umbrella Academy. I mean everyone. Kids at school were always talking about these extraordinary kids with these crazy superpowers, and lunchtimes were spent fantasising about what superpowers we would have and what it would be live with a billionaire. Eventually, we got used to the fact that none of us were as special as The Umbrella kids and we went back to our boring lives. All except for me.

A few weeks ago, my mother fell ill, and I mean really ill. Since I was the primary carer of her when she was sick, we became closer then we had ever been, and she told me things which she had never said to anyone before. One of which being that I was actually born on the day the Umbrella kids were all born, and that my father was not actually my real dad. Guess you can imagine what that was like to hear. It wasn't like it was a secret that their could be other kids out there with powers, but hearing it from my own mother was slightly terrifying. The thing was, I had kind of already guessed that I was one of them. Ever since I could remember, I've been able to turn invisible and move objects with my mind. For the most part I've just been using it to get out of group presentations and for getting myself food when I'm too lazy to get off my bed.

Which brings me to be standing outside of The Umbrella Academy. It was a cold day, cold enough where I could see my breath, and the heavy rain quickly drenched my clothes. I ran up towards the huge building which stood before and and tapped on the door. I couldn't see any movement inside, nor could I hear anything. Just as I was about to turn around and leave, the door opened up to reveal...a chimp. Wearing a suit. As if this couldn't get any weirder.

"Uhh...hi I'm Y/N-"
"Oh Ms L/N! Please come in, you must be dreadfully cold, here you can put your coat here."

He ushered me inside and I took off my coat. The house was spacious but cozy, with staircases leading up to the second level and I looked around in amazement. This was absolutely nothing like home. Looking around, I couldn't see anyone in sight. I mean I did call beforehand to let them know I was coming, not that I was expecting a huge welcoming party but at least someone other then a chimpanzee would've been nice. As if on cue, the chimp said something to me.

"Wait what did you say sorry?"
"I said did you enjoy your flight over here?"
"Oh um, yeah it was- it was good thanks."
"You seem distracted, are you alright?"
"Yeah uh I'm good, I'm fine I guess."

He gave me a look.

"Well, I just thought there would be more of a welcoming party, you know? Like maybe Sir Hargreeves would be here to greet me or something..."

The chimp laughed like it was the funniest thing in the world.

"Master Hargreeves is one who is very consumed in his work, he doesn't even have much time for the children," well this should be fun then, "But if you would like to meet someone else human I can arrange that. Children!"

He yelled out. All of a sudden I heard the sound of 7 pairs of feet running along the hardwood flooring above me and down the stairs, and they all came into a neat line before me. They all wore the uniforms I'd seen in the newspapers, only this time without the eyemasks. They looked pretty different without them on, as I could see their eyes looking me up and down. Suddenly, I felt very self conscious.

"Children, this is the new student we have attending. Y/N, these are numbers one, two, three, four, five, six and seven. Children, this is Number eight. Now, I was thinking you could help-"
"POGO!"

I heard someone yell from another room which made me jump out of my skin. The chimp, Pogo I guess was his name, sighed. He turned to me and smiled.

"I'll let you get settled in."

With that, he left me standing alone, still dripping wet with some of the most extraordinary kids standing before me. They were still just observing me, looking me up and down. The silence was killing me, so I decided to speak up.

"So... that was a talking chimp that's pretty cool-"
"What's your power?"

One of the boys spoke up. He had bright blonde hair and stood with his arms crossed.

"Oh. Well, I can turn invisible? And I can also move things with my mind that's pretty fun."

The kids nodded their head, turning to look at each other. Suddenly, the two of the girls stepped forward and picked up the bags that were at my feet and smiled at me.

"I'm number three, and that's number seven. Welcome to the academy number eight."

I laughed. It was so weird to hear those words coming out of someone else's mouth.

"Wait, don't go anywhere yet, we have a surprise for upstairs. Let's go"

Number 8 giggled and ran up the stairs and the rest followed her upstairs. All except one. He was a slim boy, with messy chocolate brown hair covering his head, and deep eyes which I couldn't tell the colour of. A mix of grey-green maybe?

"Hi! Um, yeah I'm Y/N but I guess you can call me Number eight? Uh...sorry I'm so nervous I've just see you in the newspapers all the time and it's just so cool to be here."
"What makes you think you're one of us?"

He cuts me off. I was a little taken aback. He was glaring at me, and I couldn't help but feel intimidated under his gaze.

"Well I mean, I have powers? So that kind of means I'm like you."
"You're nothing like us, and you're not going to be one of us," he strolled towards me, standing no more then two feet away from me.

My heartrate quickened, and I could feel his breath hitting my nose. He smelt like peppermint and coffee. Wait why am I smelling him? I should be scared shouldn't I? Oh god...

"Hey come on, there's no need to be rude I- I just got here that's all and..."
"Look, I run this shit around here, and if you get in my way I won't be afraid to make you're life miserable."

His gaze was intense, but I wasn't giving up that easily.

"I came here to learn about my powers and who I was and you're not going to stop that  dickhead."

He rolled his eyes. I thought I was actually going to have to fight them, but suddenly one boy came down the stairs. Number four I think? He stops walking, and grins at us with a sly smile.

"What's going on here?"

He said in a singsong voice. Number five sighed and stepped away from me.

"Nothing. I was just...giving her a proper greeting. Now if you'll excuse me. I have some sandwiches to make."

He walked away into a different room, leaving me bewildered and confused.

"That's good ol' number Number 5 for you. Hope he didn't scare you too much mi amigo. Come on, I'll show you to your room."

He led me up the stairs, past many rooms with different numbers on them. When he got to a room labelled '8', he kicked the door open with his foot. Once I had stepped inside, the other kids jumped out of their hiding spots and unleashed their party poppers and confetti. On the wall, there was a banner which read 'Welcome Number eight' in big blue letters, and there was a chocolate cake sitting on the bed. I couldn't control my laughter. It felt good to be wanted. Number two stepped forward and nudged me.

"Hope 5 didn't give you too much shit. He can be an asshole sometimes, mostly when he hasn't had a decent cup of coffee. Welcome. Call me Diego, this is Luther, Allison, Klaus, and Vanya. Try to only call us the numbers in front of dad. It's good to have you here Y/N."

I grinned. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all