iv. cops and robbers (diego)

a/n: hey guys, this is set in present day, not much different. I'm assuming the reader in this is older than 18 but whatever you want.
warnings: mild violence, swearing, sooooo much sexual tension
request: none

The house at 13 Edmund drive was dark. The sky was cloudy and overcast, perfectly hiding any light which the moon had to offer. Luckily, the house wasn't close to a street light, letting the shadows consume all of it easily. The perfect house to rob really. The all of the family were out at what I assumed was their friends birthday party. It's hard to hear full conversations happening at the front door from a bush on the other side of the street.
There was no need to watch where I stepped because no one was home, but I had to be cautious around windows in case a nosy neighbour saw shadows in the deserted house. This family had pretty good stuff. Jewellery, watches, even just money laying around. I could easily make $5000 from what I had collected. I stuff it all into a pillowcase they had laying around, and smirk to myself. This is the easier robbery I'd ever done. I walk up the stairs and into the master bedroom, happy with what I could collect from the room alone, when suddenly I heard a creak from out in the hallway. Oh fuck someone's home. I looked either side of me, trying to find a good place to hide, or something I could use to defend myself with, but before could I felt a cold blade press against the base of my neck. I sigh in relief.

"Oh Diego! Thank god it's just you! I thought it might actually be someone who could send me to jail."

I pushed the hand which held the knife away from me and turned around. In front of me stood the man, dressed in his usual black and leather attire. He put the knife away and took off his mask.

"Really, Y/N, do we have to do this all the time? I'm a busy man, I've got other more important places to be, better people to protect"

I gasp in fake shock.

"So you're saying I'm not important? I'm offended. How dare you say that about me! You can say you don't enjoy these little meetings though."
"I can say that I'll enjoy when I catch you and finally drag you to jail."
"Yeah, 'when you catch me'. You say that like you have a chance. Every time you get oh so close, and then poof, I slip right out of your reach."
"I've been going easy on you. You're really not as clever as you think."

I smirk up and him and lean closer. Even in the dark I can see his shock. I'm standing so close to him our lips are almost touching. His eyes dart down to my lips for a second before locking them with my E/C ones.

"Yeah, maybe I'm not that clever," I say breathlessly, "or... maybe...you're just not that good of a police officer."

I lean back and walk away, inspecting the room and going through drawers. I hear him let out a sigh.

"Speaking of police officers, hows that little girlfriend of yours doing?"

I make sure my back is turned away from him so he doesn't see the sadness in my face.

"We uh, actually broke up a few weeks ago."

Delight spreads across my features but I quickly turn it to fake pity.

"Aw, what a shame! Why exactly was that hm? Was it because you're a dickhead, or maybe because of your tiny dic..."

Before I can finish my sentence he launches a pillow across the room, smacking me in the back of the head. I turn around with a look of annoyance on my face. He smirks.

"First of all Y/N, I'll have you know that both of those things are very untrue," I raise my eyebrows at him, "and second of all, we broke up because we realised we didn't fit. We were too different for each other."

His face goes from playful to sad as he says this. I genuinely feel sorry for him. As much as I give him crap, I don't want him to be sad. It's crazy, I know, that after only meeting through me robbing people's houses I started to develop feelings for him. I always pushed them away, tried to forget about them. How could we ever work? He's a good guy and I'm...me. Diego sits down on the bed, and I turn around and lean against a chest of drawers just underneath a window looking out onto the darkened street. I change the subject.

"How's the family going?"
"They're...they're themselves. We never talk, but I always hear about them. Allison and her acting, Klaus and his being fucked up, Vanya and her selling out our family to money, you know the usual."
"Come on that's not fair. I read her book, and I can understand how she felt. Being alone and ordinary in a family full of supers."
"You don't understand anything Y/N!" He stands up, waving his arms around, "How about how we felt? She sold out the entire family, told all our secrets! Do you know what that was like, to read everything that was so personal to us that now everyone in the world can read?"
"Hey, hey calm down I'm sorry."

I quickly walk over to him, putting my hands on his chest to calm him down. His hands are balled into fists and his breathing is heavy, and he turns his face away from me. I can feel his heartbeat thumping and chest moving up and down quickly, and I'm unsure of how to get him to calm down. After a few minutes, I notice that he is slowly calming down. Diego turns his head back towards me, and soon realises that our lips are barely inches from each other. Before I can think, he quickly leans down and kisses me. It was quick, but it sent fireworks shooting from my head to the tips of my toes. As soon as he pulls away I felt annoyance that it didn't last longer. I look into his eyes, everything in my body screaming at me to lean up and kiss him again. Just as I'm about to, I feel cold metal around my wrist and the click of something closing. I look down at my wrist and see a pair of handcuffs. I drop the bag of jewellery I had onto the floor.

"Hey!"
"As hot as you may be, you're still a criminal and you're still stealing from someone's home, so you're gonna have to come with me."

He's smirking at me, and as annoyed as I am I can't help but laugh.

"Uh, no. Sorry buddy but my night is full for the rest of the night. Maybe another time."

I tug at the handcuffs roughly, ripping them out of his hands. Diego gives me a look, before lunging at me. I quickly sidestep him, running towards to door. Suddenly, he pulls out a knife and throwing it my way. I know he doesn't aim to hit me, because it catches in my shirt and pins me towards the door, giving him a chance to get up and make his way towards me. I yank the knife out and open the door. As I get to the landing, Diego comes out and tackles me to the ground. I punch at him with my right hand but he knows me next move, so he catches it. I use my left but he catches that. As soon as he has both my hands pinned, he leans down and gives me a quick kiss on the lips. I smile, before lifting my leg up and kicking him in the crotch. He groans and falls off me. I quickly get up, jumping down the stairs two at a time. I fling open the back door, running through the back yard. The clouds had cleared a little bit, and I could see my way around from the light coming off the moon. I start scaling the wall surrounding the house, and as I get towards to the top, I turn around to see if Diego followed me. I see him in the light of the moon. I laugh loudly, and sit at the top of the wall.

"And you said I wasn't as clever as I thought! Look at me now!"
"Yeah, maybe I let you get away because I like seeing you so much!"
"You flatter me! By the way, the family should be back in about," I look down at my watch, "3 minutes. Better get tidying up in there."
"Screw you Y/N!"
"You wish!"

I blow him a kiss, before winking at him and jumping down to the other side of the wall. I sprint away as fast as I can. Although I was interrupted and didn't get anything, it was still one of the best robberies I'd had in a while. I couldn't wait to get out tomorrow and rob another house.