xix. christmas with the hargreeves (teenage!klaus)

a/n: merry chrysler everyone! and if you don't celebrate christmas, well happy/merry whatever you do celebrate. this is just a cute lil christmas themed imagine to tide you all over during the holidays. so sit back, grab a nice cold drink (i live in australia so it's hot as hell over here- side note my country is on fire...so that's fun), and enjoy :)
warnings: underage alcohol consumption, pretty short and sweet
request: nah fam but i've got plenty i need to finish don't yell at me

On an apartment building fire escape three stories high on December 25th stood Klaus. Snow clung to his hair and hoodie as he patiently waited for you, tapping his feet to a random melody playing in his head. He could hardly feel the cold sleeping through the thin material of his black hoodie and entering his bones; he barely noticed how any exposed area of his body had flushed bright red in an attempt to keep warm, nor how his teeth chattered violently. No, he was so used to nights in the mausoleum that the cold no longer bothered him. And so, he stood on the fire escape of that third floor apartment, waiting for you to come back and accompany him to the academy.
You, on the other hand, raced around your kitchen as silently as you could, packing snacks and drinks into a large rucksack. After every creak of the wood, every rustle of a packet of chips, you believed your heist was up; awoken parents would soon drag you back to bed in a fit of rage, confiscate everything within your possession, possibly nail your window shut if they were especially tired. No such fate fell upon you, however. You were in and out of the kitchen in a flash, jumping over the especially creaky floorboards on your journey back to your bedroom. When you pulled your door shut you held the handle down to avoid anymore noise, before signalling to Klaus to help you with the transportation of your bag. He ran over to help you, lifting it with confidence and immediately dropping it due to its weight. You smack him on the back of the head, lifting a finger to your lips. You listen intently for the telltale noise of footsteps approaching your room, the annoyed huff of a parent; all that was heard was the drone of the city. You grin at Klaus in victory and help him lift the bag, one strap on yours, one over his.
The descent down the fire escape was nothing but perilous, but the two of you persevered and landed on the snow covered asphalt with a thud and a giggle. Haphazardly, the two of you staggered in the direction of the Umbrella Academy, laughter and grunts of exhaustion echoing down the empty streets, the frozen alleyways. You lived a mere 4 streets away from Klaus, but with the heavy bag the trip felt a lifetime. Finally, the building loomed in sight; even in moonlit darkness it still had the power to intimidate you, take your breath away.
Now, the two of you could not go waltzing through the front door, bag in hand and screaming 'merry Christmas Reginald and family! We've returned to bring joy to this hellish household!'. No, the two of you had to climb various levels of fire escapes AGAIN to enter the desired room. This feat did not scare you however; you were on the arm of your lover, nothing seemed to scare you anymore. Slowly but surely, you made your way 6 levels up to the attic of the academy.
Tapping once, twice, three times on the frozen circular window, it was opened by a grinning Diego.

"Nice of your to finally join us lovebirds."
"Yeah well you try carrying this bad boy up and down 9 flights of steps."

Klaus retaliates to his brother before he unceremoniously dropped the bag into the room, climbing through the window with an outstretched hand ready to pull you in. Clambering inside, you kiss him on the cheek and hug Diego. One by one, members of the academy either hug you, or in Five's case, give you a curt nod, unspoken wishes of a merry Christmas filling the room. You take the bag and lower yourself down onto the hardwood flooring, dust particles rising as you sit. A circle forms, each sibling eagerly looking towards the contents of your bag. It's not everyday the Hargreeves have a comfortable meal, with no fights or silences enforced by their father.

"So, my dear boys and girls. I have bought us a feast tonight, in celebration of that it is Christmas Day, no matter how early it is."

Item by item, you emptied the contents of your bag. A packet of barbecue chips, a dozen packets of lollies, sandwiches made from leftover meat and vegetables, homemade biscuits, even a bottle of vodka which you had stolen from your parents liquor cabinet (you already had a plan in how to replace it). Once everything was out of the floor, you raised your arms and grinned, eyes scanning over each sibling.

"Dig in everybody!"

Small chatter broke out as the siblings descended on the food you had graciously brought them, mouths and hearts full of Christmas cheer. Stories were told, making you laugh so hard you almost choke on the apple juice you had brought. There was no need for flashy stories of heroics; you were all friends, this was just another sleepover. Vanya felt so relaxed she even chipped in with jokes of her own, the siblings responding in hearty laughter. However, you thought something was missing.

"This doesn't feel like Christmas yet."
"Maybe because it's 3 in the morning darling."
"No babe, it's not that. This room doesn't feel...Christmas-y enough."
"What do you expect Y/N? Daddy dearest is hardly one to get into the Christmas spirit."

You surveyed the room, which was covered mostly by tired old boxes and dust.

"Wait a sec!"

You leapt up, each sibling surveying your every move. You crossed over to a certain pile of boxes, digging through until you found something you thought would set the mood perfectly. A dingy old miniature Christmas tree was found. Sure, some of the branches had long since fallen off and a few of the lights were cracked, but it felt like home in your hands. You placed it on a box and went looking for an outlet. Once found, silence descended on siblings as it lit up, small green, orange, pink and blue hues hitting the otherwise dim room. Klaus felt as though he was in heaven. Your face was illuminated by the lights and he had never thought you to be more beautiful then you were in that moment. The warmness created by the 1, 2, 3, 4 vodka shots he had taken had completely taken over his 15 year old body, putting him at ease for once in his life. When you made your way back over to him, he pulled you into his lap and nuzzled in the nape of your neck, placing kisses whenever you had stopped giggling. You all ate and drank yourselves silly that night; laughter consuming every square inch of the room. It felt peaceful. It felt like home. You were at home with this dysfunctional family. And you didn't wish it any other way.