Chapter 12: I Don't Like To Lose

Wiping the sweat that trickled down Aelins face as the sun mercilessly looked down at her, she continued to pick up trash on the courtyard, plopping them in a black bag.

This has to be, by far, the worst thing she's ever had to do in her whole life. And that's saying a lot. Huffing, she continued to torture her back by bending down continuously to pick up random cans and wrappers that kept appearing, in all curtsey to Rolfe's dumb idea of a punishment.

It was 5pm in the afternoon and the people that passed by stared at her but kept quiet. Everyone knew by now she was the one to set off the fire alarm, meaning they all knew what she was capable of.

Aelin's mind kept drifting back to last night. She had avoided Aedion all day today, even going as far as eating in the library at lunch. Nobody questioned it, not even when she went back to her dorm after classes and found Dorian waiting for her.

"Aelin!" She flinched a little when someone yelled her name, turning around she found Elide skipping up to her with Nehemia trailing along behind.
That girl was just a ray of sunshine, wasn't she?

Swiping off the sweat from her forehead with the back of her hand, she dropped the plastic bag on the floor with a thump.

"What are you guys doing here?" Aelin asked. Shouldn't they be, I don't know, somewhere else right now?

"You didn't hear?" Elide raised her eyebrows in question and when Aelin looked back at her, more confused then before, she giggled, "We, are going to a party."

Aelin stared at Elide then slid her eyes to Nehemia who just shrugged.
"I'm pretty occupied at the moment," She gestured to the bag full of garbage and saw Elides face drop almost instantly, aw such a poor little thing.

"But I'm sure our dear principal wouldn't mind me taking a quick break." Aelin grinned, walking towards the two dark haired beauties, stretching her back in the process, "Where is this 'party'?"

"You'll see," Elide laughed, and hooked her arm under Aelins and her other with Nehemia, "Don't worry ladies, Lorcan's our DD."

[ ROWAN ]

Rowan hated parties, hated the spontaneity of it all. He hated the crowds and most of all, he hated dancing. Yet, here he was. It was tradition after all, the first party to set of the long year ahead.

Clambering over long branches and avoiding steep holes, he walked side by side with Lorcan. The sound of birds chirping and leaves rustling in the woods was replaced by deafening beats and the strong smell of alcohol.

He joined up with a few of his football teammates and dragged a hand through his silver hair and muttered, "Talk about a friendly bunch."

Rowan glanced around the tree covered area and the teens who were already drunk or tipsy, dancing to the blaring music that escaped form the speakers planted on the soil. A large bonfire was lit in the middle of it all, some couples sat on the logs making out, while others enjoyed their hot s'mores and drinks.

Dragging his eyes from the flame he finds himself thinking about the new kid. Aelin. Was she coming?

Lorcan comes from behind and offers him a drink, he wrinkled his nose in distaste and waved him off. He wasn't in the drinking mood tonight.

"Scared to have a little fun," A voice exclaimed and Rowan turned around, a little surprised, but kept his face neutral. Aelin smirked at him and a fire burned in the pit of his stomach.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He glared, she wasn't even here for more than a few seconds and he already wanted to murder her. Aelin stood with one hand on her hip and the other dangling uselessly, she was laid back but somehow, just by looking into her eyes, you could sense power.

Rowan knew she was drunk from the moment she started talking, if only because of the intoxicating smell of alcohol that escaped her mouth. Her red tank top had one sleeve falling off while her low waisted jeans stuck to her legs like a second skin.

"Come on, little prince. Afraid to lose to the oh so famous Aelin Ashryver," She slurred, holding her full cup towards him with challenge in her eyes. Rowan's not proud of what he does next. He takes the bait. He takes it like a goddamn idiot.

"Oh, so it's like that?" He whispers, taking the cup from her hand. "Fine, you're on."
And with that, he lifts the cup and downs the whole thing in one go, Aelin looked at him with a lazy grin.

He's not proud.

He just doesn't like to lose.

Thank you guys so much for reading this far and for all your supportive comments for me to continue this book, TOG and ACOTAR are literally my favorite series of all time, bless you Sarah J. Maas. Share some love and vote on the star <3