Chapter 33: Graduation Day

"It's nearly time for the graduating year to go out into the world, supported by their families and friends," Principal Rolfe stood on stage, in a polished grey suit, staring out into the crowd of students. "But first dictates that I call on the undergraduate selected by his or her peers to deliver the valedictory speech this year."

Aelin, late to her own graduation, strutted down the aisle of chairs to her appointed seat. Her red cap swished elegantly behind her and her cap sat on her head perfectly.

Her cousin gave her a pointed look but said nothing about her late arrival. Rowan was a couple of rows ahead of them and turned around to give her a reassuring smile. She smiled back.

Rolfe cleared his throat into the mic and spoke again, filling the question in the air, "And that undergraduate, punctual as ever, Aelin Ashryver."

Applause erupted around the room. Aelin, being the one that constantly surprised everyone, was taken aback at the mention of her name. Aedion nudged her arm, and she took that as a sign that she'd probably have to get up.

Finally up on the stage, she shook hands with Rolfe who had a tender grip.

"You're going to do great things, Aelin."

The confidence in his words were surprising, but she always knew he held a soft spot for her. She knew that if she ever needed him, he'd be there no questions asked, and that gave Aelin the courage to take the mic and stand in his place at the podium. 

"Thank you Principal Rolfe for everything," And she meant it. From the moment she walked into his office the first day to the time she found out he knew her parents.

He was like the dad she never had.

Sucking in a breath, she found some familiar faces in the crowd, "This place has taught me so much about friendship, loyalty, love..."

Nehemiah wore a huge grin and nodded at her in approval, while Elide was practically balling her eyes out next to her. Chaol put his thumbs up in encouragement and Dorian mouthed the word 'congrats' from all the way across the room. She was overwhelmed.

She found Rowan last and held his stare, "But the best things in life, the very best things, happen unexpectedly."

"We're in the big leagues now, and I just have to say one more thing..." She's smirking like an idiot and salutes her classmates, "I'm not gonna miss any of you little shits."

The hall burst to their feet, clapping and shouting her name with praise. She looked over each and every one of them, remembering their faces. Happiness filled her to the very bone, and the moment was almost picture perfect.

"Congratulations to all! You are no longer seniors!" Rolfe exclaimed, not at all bothered by their improper behavior in the ceremony.

Aelin was surrounded by her friends in an instant, all smiling goofily. Without a single worry of what her future holds, she grabs her graduation cap and throws it into the air.

A hundred more join hers until it's a sky of glowing red.

It was perfect.

I know it's a short chapter, but honestly, what better way to end the story?

From the bottom of my heart, I can't thank you all enough for supporting me through all of this. it's only with ur enthusiasm that I've even come this far!

I'd love to hear you're thoughts on the book!