Chapter 26: Fenrys and Gavriel

Aelin sniffed the ginger scented air and sighed contently.

Christmas is near.

Somehow, even with her miserable past, christmas was always the one thing she looked forward to every year. Being an orphan and all, she never woke up to decoratively wrapped gifts under the christmas tree- not that she had a tree to begin with- and never even believed in Santa.

With no cozy fireplace or a place to call home, Aedion and her had to make do. So every christmas eve, they'd go to the theatre a couple of blocks down the street and just... watch.

On an open glass-tiled roof with nothing but a blanket and some stolen treats, they'd cuddle up together and let the joyful music entrance them for an hour- two- late into the night.

It was something they've done together since they were children and would no doubt keep doing.

It just so happens that the academy doesn't allow students to stay over the break and Rowan had said- leaving no room for argument- that both her and her cousin would be staying with him. 

Two hours later, Lorcan's car was parked outside their apartment, which Rowan shared with him and two other guys. Elide was already rushing up the stairs leaving Lorcan with her luggage, and Aelin let out a little laugh carrying her own duffle bag after her.

She doesn't make it two steps before Rowan stood in front of her, grabbing her duffle bag out of her hand and slung it over his shoulder, "I've got it."

She grinned and patted his arm, "My hero." 

Ever since they started dating Rowan's been treating her like royalty, and Aelin doesn't mind it. They still bicker like a married couple most of the time, but it's more playful than anything.

She can't stop smiling though because this, being here with him, is the happiest she's been in a long time.

Aedion gave an innocent smile and dropped his own duffle bag into Rowans hands before walking up next to her. She gave him a look and he raised his eyebrows defensively, "What? How come you get all the special treatment. "

She rolled her eyes and continued up the stairs, "Keep it together, we still have to meet his roommates- what were their names again?"

"Gavriel and Fenrys," Aedion grumbled, not at all looking forward to meeting more people.

"Stop being so pissy," She snorted, and lightly punched him on the shoulder, "You miss your girlfriend already?"

"Lysandra is staying with her parents at their cottage for the holidays," Aedion explained, ignoring her snarky tone.

"So.... Have you guys had sex yet?"

Aedion actually choked on his own spit and spun around fast enough that she thought his neck would crack. His eyes went wide and she laughed at how fast the heat rose to his cheeks.

"I- You can't just-" He started stuttering uncomfortably and this time Aelin bursted into a fit of uncontrolled laughter.

By the time they were at the door, Aelin had tears running down her face and could barley breathe.

With Lorcan and Elide already inside, Rowan opened the unlocked door and went in, Aelin and Aedion following suit.

The apartment was bigger than she expected it to be, she already memorized the layout before she was even halfway inside- natural instincts. The room they were in was cozy, with just two couches and a chair facing the television sitting on top of the fireplace.

There were 5 doors in total, 4 probably leading to each of their bedrooms and the last one for the kitchen. Elide and Lorcan were already snuggled up on the couch whispering god knows what to each other and across the room were two unfamiliar faces playing foosball.

The one with night-dark eyes and an edged grin looked Rowan over and drawled, "I liked your hair longer."

Rowan threw one of those neck pillows people wear at airplanes straight at him. But the dark-eyed, bronze-skinned male merely ducked and smirked, "Was your aim this shitty when you cut your own hair?"

"Hello, Fenrys," Rowan laughed, and walked over to clap the other on the back. It was easy and comfortable, Aelin didn't know much about them other than the fact that the four of them knew each other since they were kids.

In a fluid motion though, Fenrys was strutting over to Aelin with half a grin on his face, "This must be your little lady, eh?"

She smiled playfully and before Fenrys could reach her, Rowan was putting himself between them.

Fenrys rolled his eyes, "Cockblock," He muttered disdainfully.

The male still standing at the table with those gold-speckled eyes, Gavriel, let out a small laugh and turned his attention to her, "Don't mind him, he's like that about... eighty percent of the time."

They all burst into a fit of laughter and finally got to introducing themselves. After unpacking what she had in Rowan's room, and Aedion on the couch since they didn't have a guest room, the seven of them ended up playing Monopoly in Gavriels room- which was the neatest.

Aelin could've stayed there all night if it weren't for Fenrys who said out of nowhere, "You guys, I heard there was a new club opening tonight, feel like checking it out?"

The suggestive smirk on his face told them exactly what he'd be on the lookout for once they got there-or more so who. Damn the fact that they spent most of today getting here and were practically exhausted, because a club's a club, and Aelin could kill for a drink.

"I'm in," She blurted, and then turned around to give Rowan puppy-dog eyes, "Pleaseee."

He let out a sigh, "Fine."

She jumped into his arms and gave him a kiss, but then he held her chin and whispered, "But you owe me." And just the look in his eyes alone, Aelin knew exactly what he meant, feeling a shiver run down her spine.

Elide squealed in excitement, "What are you guys waiting for?! Let's go!"