Chapter 20: Dorian Coming Out

"Aelin Ashryver to the principals office."

Those six words brought Aelin right back to where she started; sitting in the chair opposite Rolfe's desk.

But this time instead of wearing her cocky grin and saying some snarky remarks, her face was grim and she had no idea why she was there.

Facing Rolfe who was swiping off non-existent dust before straightening his suit, he faced Aelin with the same wise eyes and folded his hands together.

"I heard you made quite the commotion earlier."

So this was about the whole Maeve outing Aelins personal business to everyone in school then.

Instead of answering, she merely bowed her head lower, it was already past curfew and she was tired.

"But that's not why I brought you here, Ms. Ashryver," Rolfes eyebrows creased and Aelin perked up with interest, "I asked you in because I feel that you may want to see this."

He spun in his seat slowly to open a glass-cased shelf hung on the wall filled with trophy's and awards. He pulled out what looked like a frame and handed it to Aelin.

Carved at the bottom was written "class of 1986", and a photo of students her age jumping mid-air with huge smiles on their faces.

"What exactly am I supposed to be looking at?" Aelin questioned, staring back and forth from Rolfe to the frame.

"Anyone look familiar to you?"

Aelin squinted, looking closer, and suddenly the sight of glowing golden hair caught her sight and her heart skipped a beat.

There she was, standing right in the middle of the picture, someone who looked so similar to Aelin. The nose was different and her eyes weren't the infamous green-blue color, but just a bright blue pair.

This couldn't be... wearing a red cloak and graduation hat was her mom. She was spinning in the air, held up by a boy with a huge grin.

The boy had chestnut brown hair and green eyes, and when he looked at Aelins mom all she could see was pure love.

"Dad..." She softly put a finger on the frame, as if somehow she would feel his tight hug and hear his silly jokes again.

"You're parents were one of my most proud students, both head boy and head girl."

"I didn't know."

"You couldn't have," He said with a small smile dancing on his lips, "Listen here Aelin, I see something in you and it's not for you to just give up, can you promise you won't?"

Aelin kept staring at the frame of her parents, a heart-warming feeling in her chest and took in Rolfes words.

"I won't, promise."

Rolfe seemed satisfied enough with the answer, "You can return to your dorm now."

Clutching the frame a bit tighter in her hand, she asked, "Can I keep it?"

Rolfe nodded.

"Of course."

~