Chapter 27: Unfinished Business

Rowan thought about the first time they met, when they had faced each other back at the Academy.

It felt like such a long time ago now. Things changed... they changed.

And now, with Aelin spinning around to show off her dress to him, he realized she was finally his. She looked beautiful, just like she always did, but her outfit really did him no mercy.

The dress was tight and showed every curve he still yearns to explore. It was strapless, exposing her soft neck, and the black fabric flowed down to her knees where a single cut travelled up her thigh.

"Well? Do you like it?"

It took him a moment to realize she was asking him a question. He blinked and started mumbling words that probably sounded like a bunch of gibberish.

She laughed and walked towards where he was sitting on the bed in his room. She moved slowly- almost like she knew they had all the time in the world to enjoy each other.

She casually brought her knee to one side of his leg and then the other, until she was sitting right on him. He tried to calm his pulsing heartbeat, but then found himself looking into those familiar set of eyes.

"Well, do you?"

He noticed how she slightly lifted her chin to expose more of her neck and he whiffed her scent. The sweet smell of jasmine and lemon verbena almost made him dizzy with lust, and he didn't give a damn if his friends were still in the apartment, he wanted to take her right then and there.

"You know what they say," He breathed into her ear while scaling his hands up her thighs, "Beauty comes from what's inside- or was it what's underneath?"

She moaned quietly when he finally started kissing her, from her collarbone up to her neck, until she was panting on top of him-

"Get out of there you two! We're leaving!" Fenrys' banging on their door was startling enough that Aelin fell off the bed and on her ass.

"Fuck off," Rowan yelled right back, sending a glare at the door.

He smiled though, as he helped her up and casually walked out with their hands entwined.

Aedion gave him a look but he was used to it, it would be a while before they really got used to each other.

They all rode in one car, it was tight, but they managed. With Elide in Lorcans lap and Fenrys grudgingly in the trunk. Gavriel sat at the wheel and Aedion in the passengers seat after shouting shotgun.

They finally pulled up to the club. A sign was hung on top of the building, with the name 'Vaults' written in neon letters. Even from outside Rowan could smell the strong stench of booze.

He looked at Aelin who was grinning happily, and within the first few seconds of getting inside, both him and her were on the dance floor partying their souls out.

With Aelin sliding up and down his body, twirling around him and grinding her back on his waist, it almost killed him. He was completely awe-struck, her hips swayed to the beat and she didn't care that he wasn't the best dancer because she made them look good.

They were both sweating after who-knows-how-many-songs finished, and now they were both clinging to each other and slowly swaying to the next song. Not at all heated like the others, just slow. They were a few drinks into the night and he honestly could admit he was a bit of a light weight.

Drunk enough that he didn't realize something was bothering her.

Aelin danced and danced until she couldn't feel her feet. She was having the best time with Rowan, and all she could think about was how great this christmas was going to be now that she has him.

It was just past midnight when she saw him. He tried to hide underneath his dark cloak- but seriously ,who wears those anymore? - but she didn't doubt it was him.

Cain.

She could sense his stare on her the whole time, and she knew she could just ignore him, act like he wasn't there. But he was. And that was never a good sign.

Aelin's made some enemies in the past, back when she'd use her alias name 'Celeana' to cover up her identity. So the fact that Cairn was here, the same night she decided to go to the town, wasn't a mere coincidence.

"Rowan, I think I'm going to go freshen up, okay?"

"Hm?" He kept dancing and finally mumbled what seemed to be an 'okay'.

She left him out on the floor and quietly nudged past the crowd to go out the back door. Wrapping her jacket a bit tighter around her shoulders, she doesn't need to guess who came out the door just after her.

"Hello, Cain." Her voice is almost too sweet, and she heard him click his tongue once before she turned around to face him.

He seemed to have grown double his size, which was saying a lot. He used to be huge, but now he was massive. His dark stringy hair blew away from his face from a little breeze and she cringed at those black eyes.

"I believe we have some unfinished business." He took one step forward, "Am I right, Celeana?"

There was a quick click and swish.

Cain let the shimmer of the steel reflect off of the moons light.

With no words left to say, he attacked her with the pocket knife he'd ripped free.