Chapter 19: Just Being Forgotten

Rowan's legs ache beneath him, he'd been running for what seemed like hours around the market; into every store, down every road, asking every person who walked by if they'd seen a blonde girl with blue-green eyes.

He knew he screwed up and he didn't need to be told twice, but he had to fix things between them or he'd never forgive himself.

The wind pushed past his silver hair, tickling his forehead and brushing his cheeks slightly. He didn't bother to apologize for shoving past the crowd in a rush because his mind was only set of finding Aelin.

Time swung by fast but he never found her, and when Lorcan patted his back telling him the bus was here, Rowan slumped against the wall in defeat.

The bus ride was horrible, he found Aelin sitting with Nehemiah listening to music through her headphones, and when he passed by, Nehemiah shook her head saying it just wasn't the right time.

Then when was?

Dorian walked down the aisle of the moving bus, clutching the seats to keep him steady as he made his way towards Rowan.

"I heard what happened," Dorian sighed, glancing at Aelin before turning towards Rowan again, "I'm sorry, man."

Rowan rubbed his temple, a hollow feeling in his chest dragging him deeper into guilt.

"Don't be, it was my fault," He squeezed shut his pine-green eyes and felt Dorian waiting, "I just- I don't know what to do."

"Talk to her, clear things up, she'll understand."

"What if she doesn't?"

Rowan bit his lip nervously wondering why he was getting so worked up. It wasn't like they were dating, so why does he feel like he just made the biggest mistake.

"Then you try again and again until she does."

Dorian was right, he was going to talk to Aelin and explain himself. But what would he say?

"Dude, you do like her don't you?"

Do I like Aelin?

The girl who could get on his last nerve after one minute- but she was also the girl who made his heart jump and made him catch his breath.

"Yes," Rowan exhaled, "I like her man, I really do."

Dorian smirked, "Then go get your girl."

The next day, Aelin felt his piercing stare on the back of her head in every class. She couldn't focus, not when she knew that he was just a couple of rows behind her.

She was mad, that's for sure, and at the same time she was also in pain. Seeing him kiss Maeve was almost like getting stabbed in the back.

Aelin figured out her feelings for him before, when they were on "no-speaking" terms after the whole dining hall fiasco.

Well it was more like Nehemiah barging into her dorm and slapping her out of oblivion type of realization.

But now, all she could think about was Maeve and Rowan together having the time of their lives at the dance and it made her wanna puke.

She heard shuffling and realized everyone was getting up to leave the class, she hadn't realized the bell had rung.

Packing up as well she felt a soft hand on her shoulder and looked up at Aedion.

His eyes, just like her own, were calm and dangerous.

"If it makes a difference, I never really did like that guy, he was a big dick."

Aelin snorted, finding her cousins distaste in Rowan amusing.

"Yeah Aedion, I know."

It was no secret both guys had some sort of rivalry between them, and since the first second, they've been at each other throats to prove themselves. To who and for what, she's never known.

"I was thinking that you could come over to my dorm later—"

But his mouth snapped shut almost instantly when Maeve basically shoved past the crowd of students and stood in front of Aelin.

Great, the person I wanted to see the least.

"You're in my way," Aelin growled, spite lacing her words. Oh how she'd love to throw Maeve a punch or two.

"I don't think I am," Maeve smirked, putting a hand on her hip with sass. As if she hasn't done enough to make her life miserable.

"Move, before I make you Maeve."

By now people were stoping to watch, and they were all hushing down to hear their bickering.

"Oh yeah? I thought I smelt a bitch a mile away," Maeve cooed, the two girls behind her, probably her brainless minions, started giggling madly.

Aelin sniffed around them curiously, "Are you sure it's not your god awful perfume?"

It seemed like that was enough for Maeve because suddenly she was turning very red and starting stuttering, not really knowing what to say.

"What about- I mean you-"

"I'm sorry Maeve, I couldn't hear you," Aelin put a hand around her ear leaning closer a bit.

Extremely red and flustered, Maeve blurted, "Well at least my parents didn't walk out on me."

All of a sudden, Aelin found herself rooted to the spot.

Looking to the ground, she felt her stomach twist at the horrible memories of her childhood that kept flashing in her mind.

"Leave her alone, Maeve," Rowan sneered loudly, walking up to her while the crowd of students parted quickly.

Maeve scoffed and sauntered away, followed by her minions.

"You're the last person to talk, Hunt," Aedion growled at Rowan, striding up to him with death in his eyes.

"Stop it! Both of you!" Aelin yelled, pulling at her hair with anger. She hated the fact that so many people were watching, that so many people heard.

"Aelin..." Rowan started, stepping around Aedion to get to her.

"No," She shut her eyes, trying to stop the tears brimming in her eyes, "I need to be alone."