Chapter 32: The Last Game

"Hunt, Salvaterre." Coach said, walking into the dewy green field and motioning for them.

"Hey coach, what's up," Rowan asked as Lorcan jogged over while the rest of the team continued to warm up.

"You're both my best players, always will be. I don't know what happened over the holidays, and I don't want to get all sappy so go kick some ass." He patted their backs and they jogged back on the field with huge grins.

Rowan felt his heart pounding against his chest as he kneeled down on the freshly cut grass. It was the last game of the season. He would never miss out on playing, even if his back wasn't in perfect condition after checking with the doctor in his last appointment.

He scanned the stands, looking at the jittery crowd until he found the person he was most anxious to see.

She was a glorious sight to take in. The sun did her no mercy, making her hair glow in gold and even from where he was kneeling he could feel her blazing eyes on him.

He winked and turned to his competition, digging his knee deeper into the soil. They've never won a game against the Stygian's- their most fierce competitors in the north, but today was different. He could feel it.

It was like the calm before the storm. The team was in position, the stands were quiet with anticipation, and the air was still. They needed one more touchdown to win.

The ref blew the whistle, and the game began.

Rowan sped off, tackling anyone in sight, and knew Lorcan wasn't too far off behind. He glanced for a second to see the ball snap and Lorcan catching it. They knew the play, studied the play. It would all be up to whether or not they can go through with the play.

Lorcan's eyes wander all over the field before spotting Rowan with a smirk.

Rowan watched the ball soar through the air, hearing the distant cheers of the crowd as he ran for the end zone. He dodged the rival defense, and leaped just in time to catch the ball as he crossed the line.

The crowds cheer grew even louder if that was possible, and Lorcan and the rest of his teammates came to pick him up on their shoulders. Their excitement was contagious and carried Rowan through the next few minutes in a haze of pure bliss.

His eyes connected with a pair of blue-green eyes, and just like that Rowan was sprinting towards Aelin with a victorious smile.

He scooped her up and she giggled frantically, punching his arm playfully when he put her down.

"Well, what do you think?" He bowed dramatically, and then motioned his hand to the crowd running on to the field.

"I think I would've preferred the movies," She teased. "But, I'll rate your performance a five out of ten. Six to be generous."

Removing his helmet he leaned down for kiss.

"No kissing you big oaf, not when you're all," She pointed at his sticky state, "...sweaty."

Rowan glanced down at himself and then up to Aelin. "Well, it's too bad then." And without warning he pulls her into a tight hug, squeezing her harder when she protests in disgust.

But they were laughing and she didn't stop him when he tried kissing her again.

Lysandra waits at their spot, nervous for Aedion to come. He sounded urgent on the phone, and she couldn't stop the nagging feeling that he was going to break up with her.