Chapter 29: He HAS To Wake Up

Christmas was officially ruined.

     It was the hour of midnight, a week before Christmas. The silhouettes of two bodies shadowed the walls of the hospital room.

The bodies of Aelin Ashryver and Rowan Hunt.

     She sat next to his hospital bed
sleeping... dreaming...

     Her fingers held on to his; tight, as if to reassure herself that he were still here.
Still alive.

"She's sat there for two days."

Chaol emerged from behind Dorian who was standing worried by the doorframe.

     "I think she'd stay for an eternity if it meant him waking up to her there," Dorian sighed and accepted the coffee Chaol handed to him.

     "Do you think..." Dorian started, but then shook his head, "Never mind."

"Do I think he's ever going to wake up?" Chaol finished for him.

     Dorian made a small sound from his throat and bit his lip hard. They were both his friends, and he hated seeing Rowan on that bed. After everything with Cain- that bastard sure as hell deserved a lifetime in jail, with all the sick things he's done.

     "Come on, you need some sleep," Chaol wrapped a hand around his waist and softly pulled him away, "And to answer your question... yes, I do think he's going to wake up, if not for himself then for Aelin."

He smiled a bit then and hoped Chaol was right.

     Sunlight was streaming through the blinds of the boxed window, but Aelin did not get up for breakfast.

     Two knocks on the door had Nehemiah walking in with a tray of mouthwatering food of what smelled like eggs, bacon and... pancakes!

     Aelin offered a grateful smile, "When did you get here?"

Nehemiah was planning on going skiing with the rest of her family all the way in Fairbanks for the winter holiday... apparently not.

"I heard what happened, I had to see if you were okay."

Aelin got up and embraced her best friend. It was comforting and lifted her mood, if only a little.

"Have you seen yourself lately? You look like shit," Nehemiah laughed and twirled Aelin around humorously.

"Ha ha, pampering myself is the last thing on my mind, 'hemiah." She looked back at Rowan softly.

But Aelin could admit that her friend wasn't entirely wrong. The shirt that Aedion brought her from home the first night was wrinkled, and she couldn't even get her fingers through her hair without it getting stuck.

     "Go freshen up right now or no breakfast for you," Nehemiah smirks wickedly.

     Aelin rolls her eyes and sticks out her tongue, "Okay, Mother."

     Giving one last look at Rowan she took the fresh clothes Aedion put on the chair and went to find the bathrooms.

     After seeing herself in the mirror, it made her realize that 'shit' was probably a compliment to how she really looked.

     The blonde strands of her hair looked pale and lifeless, and the bags under her eyes were just another sign of how much she's slept these past few days.

     Putting on a plain red hoodie and black tights, she grabbed the brush and tried detangling the nest on her head.

     Once back in the room she took up her spot next to Rowan and accepted the tray. Finally.

"Who did this to him?"

     "Someone who really wants me dead. He's in jail now," Aelin shrugged.

     "Good." And somehow, that one word was really all Aelin needed.

     She already missed his eyes, and the way he said her name. Would she ever hear that voice again?

     She's lost too many people in life to let that happen.

     "What's this?" Nehemiah was standing by the bed frame holding up a leather jacket.

"That's Rowan's."

     "No," Nehemiah brings over the jacket and pulls out two laminated pieces of papers from a pocket, "I mean, what's this?"

Just as confused as she, Aelin took them and read what was written on it.

7pm - 12am
24th December
Join us this Christmas Eve! At the
{ROYAL THEATRE}

      One was addressed to Rowan, and another to her?!

The feeling of a thousand butterflies entered her stomach and her eyes were wide with shock.

This-this was for her?

Rowan got the tickets for her.

To the Royal fucking Theatre!

"He wanted to take you on Christmas Eve."

But it wasn't her best friend talking, instead it was Gavriel who was standing by the door, arms crossed over his chest.

"Wouldn't shut up about it, if you ask me," Fenrys teased, giving Gavriel a small pat on the head before sitting next to Nehemiah.

"I-I just can't believe he'd do something like this! I mean it must have cost him a fortune!"

"Not really," Fenrys grinned, "His family's rich you know."

Aelin blinked, "N-no, I didn't."

"Welp, now you do."

     The tickets in her hand felt like a lot, and just holding them made her conscious of what they actually were.

     Ever since she was little she's always wanted to go. Listening on the rooftops with Aedion was exciting, but actually getting inside...

"I can't take this."

"No, but you will," Fenrys counter attacked.

"I can't."

"But you will."

"I just c-"

"Can I get a moment of peace in here? Please?"

The whole room froze.

"I mean damn, a guy in a coma should sure as hell get the rest he needs," Rowan groaned, stretching his limbs in the bed.

     Nehemiah was already rushing outside to get the others, Gavriel and Fenrys were calling out for nurses, but Aelin couldn't move.

     Finally, after what felt like forever, he looked at her and smiled.

"Hey."