Chapter 24: I love you, Aelin

Everything faded away all at once; the music, the people, and all Rowan could see was Aelin.

She'd just entered the hall, and the dress he got her glittered like a jewel. He was shocked to see her wearing it, and even more shocked that she had actually come to the dance.

Rowan was standing at the other side of the room, blending into the shadows as he stared.

She actually came.

It seemed to finally hit him, and as he watched Dorian drag Chaol into the dance floor with Elide and Lorcan following after, he realized that this was it. This was his chance to finally make it right.

Aelin was standing by the foods stall with Nehemiah and both of them were laughing and drinking punch.

It was like he was seeing her for the first time. She looked different now, happier. As though she finally found her place.

So one step after the other, he dragged himself across the dance floor in a haze. Really close now, that the only thing he had to do was call her name and she'd turn around.

Suddenly he felt a hand grip his wrist.

He spun around and found Maeve smiling flirtatiously, dressed in a gown as dark as the night. Her hair was curled and ran down her back in waves. Pure annoyance schooled his features and he glared at her.

"What do you want, Maeve?"

She pouted innocently and stroked her hand on his shoulder, "Well, i was just thinking... You're hot, I'm hot... We should go out."

Rowan ripped away immediately, almost like her touch burnt him, "No, Maeve."

"Oh come on, what's the problem, at least give me one little dance," She smirked, stepping closer again. Does she not get it?

"I can't-"

Oh gods it was getting hard to breathe.

"Why not?"

"Because I love someone else! Okay?!"

As soon as it left his mouth, he knew he couldn't take it back.

But he didn't want to, because it was true.

"I love Aelin," He muttered to himself, and didn't think twice before striding up to the two girls, his heart pounding in his chest.

Nehemiah saw him coming and jerked her chin at Aelin to look as well. Keeping his cool, he gave them a small smile and extended a hand to Aelin, "Dance with me?"

Aelin stared at his hand and then back at Nehemiah, who nodded saying she was okay and left them alone.

Shrugging casually, she took his hand, "Sure, why not?"

There was a small smile playing on her lips as they walked to the dance floor together. His mind was crowded with things he wanted to say, but he kept silent.

Suddenly the music was cut off and replaced by a slow song... a very romantic slow song.

Rowan noticed the slight tint in Aelin's face as he wrapped his hand around her waist and she did the same around his neck until they were both swaying to the beat.

"Just a couple more months until you can leave this place," He exhaled, not eager for that day to come.

"Is it bad that I don't want to go?" She hummed, leaning her head against his shoulder.

He smiled, feeling the space between them close, and said, "No, not bad at all."

He didn't care about the people staring, or what they thought about the two apparent rivals being together like this. Rowan's never been sure of anything before, but one thing he knows is that he wanted Aelin in his life no matter what.

"Aelin," He said her name softly, making her lift her gaze up to him, "I like you- no I think I love you, and after everything that's happened I just want to be with you."

Her eyes weren't judgmental, even as he continued, "I don't know when or how, but what I feel for you is much more than words can describe. You're my soulmate. I just know it in my heart that we were meant for each other, but you say the word and I will leave you alone. I'm not expecting anything from you in return."

When he finished he felt his throat close up. She was grinning and he was confused, he just spilled his heart out and she wasn't saying anything.

But then she kissed him.

As soon as her lips were on his, Rowan's eyes shot wide open. He wanted her so bad, and when their lips touched it felt completely right.

Her lips moved against his slowly, tentatively, as if she was scared he was gonna pull away at any second.

"I like you too," She breathed in between their kisses. Rowan kissed her again, this time harder and a smile spread across his lips after hearing those words leave Aelin's mouth.

He grabbed her waist tighter and pulled them closer, their bodies molding as one. He kissed her senseless, leaving her dizzy and dreaming.

She ran her fingers through his soft hair and tugged roughly. They'd never played gentle before- she saw no reason to start now.

"Does this mean we're together," He murmured, his hands starting to roam around her body.

She pulled back slightly, "Do you want to be with me?"

"Bloody hell. Yes," He breathed and pulled her in for another kiss. He could've stayed there like that with her for the rest of the night but a high pitched sound pierced his ears and the music just stopped.

"Hello everyone, can I have your attention," It was Dorian. He was standing on stage with a mic in hand and Chaol was looking at him from the dance floor with a raised eyebrow.

Smiling at him, Dorian looked at the crowd and said, "I'd like to make a very special announcement."

-

Anyone can guess what Dorian's about to say? Sorry for not updating quickly, I've been super busy at my new school here in Canada. Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT ❤️