Respect

Julie's pov

After we get off the bus we see Shane waiting for us in the lobby.

"How was everyone's day at school?" he asks.

We each respond with, "Fine, good, or okay," as we head to our room.

"Get started on your homework," Shane calls after us.

We all say, "Ok" and keep walking.

Shane's pov

I grab Julie's arm before she gets out of reach.

"I'd like to have a word with you about what happened this morning."

I'm not sure how long I can keep my temper at bay. It was bad enough she was the reason Neil ripped me a new one, not once but twice, this morning. First, by phone in the car with Julie hearing every word. Second, via the live version I received in Neil's office after the meeting. For over ten minutes he berated me as I sat in that uncomfortable chair watching his face get redder and hearing his voice get louder as he paced back and forth behind his desk. I was thoroughly chastised for not only being late but also for my incredibly irresponsible, reckless, and disappointing choices.  I haven't taken a tongue lashing like that since basic training in the Royal Navy. I sat there and took it, just like I stood there and took it then, because I have a lot of respect for both Neil and my former commanding officer.

Little did Julie know, I was about to teach her a very hard lesson on the subject of respect. A lesson she wouldn't soon forget.

"In my room now!" I say, ushering her down the hall while keeping a firm grip on her arm.

Julie's pov

My heart stops when Shane grabs my arm and sternly says he, "wants a word with me." I start to panic until he says he wants to talk about what happened this morning. That makes sense. For a minute I thought he knew about the notes at school this afternoon. I take a calming breath and tell myself I can get through this. It'll be okay. It's a little disconcerting he hasn't let go of my arm, even though I'm not resisting him, but I shrug it off.

"Sit down," he says, pointing to a chair by the door.

I swing my backpack off my shoulder and place it on the floor before taking a seat.

He walks over to his desk and bends slightly, placing the palms of his hands on the desk. His back is to me so I can't read his facial expressions. I know he's upset. I just don't know how upset.

"I think we can both agree this morning's sequence of events should not reoccur and certainly shouldn't be a recurring theme. Am I correct in that assumption?" Shane stands up brushing his suit coat aside as he places his hands on his hips.

I'm not sure I understand everything he just said but I am 95% sure I should agree with him, so I do.

"Yes sir."

"I'd like to know why you missed the bus since that was the catalyst for this morning's disastrous chain of events." Shane turns to face me, sitting on the corner of his desk with his hands clasped in his lap, waiting expectantly for my answer.

"I guess I just overslept."

I'm still having trouble discerning his mood.

"I find it hard to believe that none of your sisters bothered to wake you up since all of you need to be up around the same time. Is that in fact what you're saying, that neither Stacey, Carrie nor Lisa tried to wake you? Because if that's the case, I'm going to have a talk with each of them."

"No sir. They told me to get up and get ready to go but I didn't listen. I told them I wasn't hungry and wanted to skip breakfast so I could sleep longer. When I fell back asleep, I never heard my alarm and I didn't wake up until you came in."