Monday morning

Shane's pov

Having successfully evaded Neil during the remainder of the evening at the fundraiser, I foolishly thought I was in the clear. The error of my ways became crystal clear when I heard his steely tone through the Bluetooth as we drove home that night.

His words rang through my ears, "My office, first thing Monday morning," sending a chill through me as I stood in the hallway outside his office. I glanced at my watch, 8:22am, before entering and greeting his secretary.

"Good morning, Liz, I believe your husband is expecting me."

"Good morning, Admiral Donovan, and yes, he is expecting you. Please allow me to show you in," Liz replied sweetly. Rising from behind her desk, she ushered me into Neil's office, closing the door on her way out, granting us some privacy.

"You wanted to see me, sir?" I ask, feigning ignorance as to why Neil summoned me here.

"Apparently, first thing in the morning is 8:23am for some people." Neil gives me a disapproving look. "We'll discuss that later."

"Yes sir." This must be how the girls feel when I lecture them I think as I vehemently resist the urge to roll my eyes while Dr. Curtis continues to scold me.

"While I appreciate the discretion with which the incident with Stacey at the fundraiser was handled, it did not go unnoticed," Neil cuts straight to the chase.

"I'm terribly sorry that incident occurred on such an important night for the Foundation. I assure you, sir, Stacey has been properly disciplined and she will be writing you and Mr. Burns letters of apology."

Neil crosses his arms over his chest and gives me a look indicating he's not convinced.

"In order to avoid incidents such as this in the future, perhaps I should handle Stacey's discipline myself."

Wanting to protect Stacey from further punishment, I try to convince Neil that won't be necessary.

"Sir, I've already spanked Stacey, not once but twice, for her behavior that night. I promise you, she knows without a shadow of a doubt that her actions were unacceptable and they are never to be repeated." I have to bite my tongue to keep from reminding Neil about my original objections stemming from allowing the girls to attend the fundraiser in the first place.

"See to it that an incident such as this never occurs again with one of your girls, Donovan..."

"Yes sir."

"...or I'll be forced to deliver both your punishments first hand."

I couldn't hide my surprise at Neil's mention of including me in the category of punished versus punisher. I shudder to think how that scenario would play out.

"Have I made myself clear, Donovan?" Neil's tone leaves no room for interpretation.

"Yes sir."

Neil returns to his seat behind his desk, getting back to work. After a few awkward moments, he finally dismisses me.

Later that night in Shane's room

Stacey's pov

I nervously play with my hair as Shane makes good on his promise while we sit in his room, waiting for Mike to arrive. This meeting, however, isn't about informing Mike about the events that took place at the fundraiser. I overheard Shane talking on the phone with Mike earlier in the day, when he was presumably at the airport, so I know Mike is aware of what happened. No, this meeting is intended to be a lesson in humility.

Once Mike arrives, for whatever reason I find it so much harder to confess to him in person even though I know he's already learned about my disobedience from an outside source. I searched for the right words as I looked him in the eyes, witnessing first hand the disappointment brought on by my behavior that night. I looked away, uncomfortable knowing I let both of my guardians down.