Footage

Mike's pov

"I'll take care of it, Neil." The girls have really outdone themselves this time. Neil's just shared with me some security footage from the NJC's cameras that the guards alerted him to earlier, starring the girls.

"See to it that you do because trust me, Michael, if I have to handle this myself, you and the girls will be taught a lesson not soon forgotten. Do I make myself clear?"

Neil's tone sends a chill down my spine. Even as a grown man, Neil still has the ability to reduce me to the state of a petulant child fearing his daddy's discipline.

"Yes sir, I understand." Through the years, I've come to realize Neil's been much more than a vocational mentor to me, he's really been more like a second father.

I head to the girls' room and inform them I'd like to speak to them.

"In my room in ten minutes please, ladies," I state, rather matter of factly.

Mike's room

Mike's pov

"What's up, Mike? Why have we been summoned to your lair?" Lisa asks, a little too casually. They have no idea why they're here.

"I'd like the four of you to take a seat on my bed." The girls should recognize my tone indicates this isn't really a request.

Julie, Stacey, and Carrie take a seat on my bed. Lisa sits in the chair by my door and starts scrolling through something on her phone. Oh, if only life was ever easy.

"Lisa, I asked you to take a seat on my bed," I say sternly, giving her an unhappy glance.

"Why can't I just sit here?" Lisa continues to resist my direction.

"You can take a seat on my bed or one face down over my lap, the choice is yours." I remove my suit coat and hang it on my desk chair as I now stand in front of Lisa, hands on hips awaiting her decision.

"Okay. Still don't know what the big deal is," Lisa mumbles, getting up as she wisely chooses to sit on my bed.

"Umm, no offense, Mike, but can we move this along? I kinda have things to do," Stacey joins Lisa in trying my patience.

I turn my back to the girls, close my eyes, and take a slow deep breath just like Dr. Evans suggested, to quell my temper.

"Stacey, the spot over my knee is still available as your sister wisely chose another one. Would you like to occupy it now?" I turn around and narrow my eyes at my oldest daughter. She should know better than to speak to me that way.

Recognizing the look in my eyes and realizing what typically follows it, Stacey remains silent as she shakes her head no.

Crossing my arms over my chest, I continue, "I need to speak to the four of you about some surveillance footage the Center's security guards made Dr. Curtis and I aware of this morning."

Judging by the fidgeting and nervous glances exchanged amongst my daughters, the purpose of this meeting is becoming quite evident. I continue to stare them down, wanting them to be as uncomfortable as possible right now knowing the conversation we're about to have. None of them are willing to make eye contact. I want the girls to know my position on this without a shadow of a doubt but I also want to be realistic and understanding about the pressures they face from their peers.

"I'm going to try my hardest not to yell or lose my temper, girls. I want to have a very frank and honest discussion with the four of you about this but you also need to understand that I am in no way, shape, or form condoning your behavior or absolving you of any consequence. Is that clear?"