Trading places

The next day

Julie's pov

My luck appeared to be changing as the gods of fate had finally smiled upon me. Shane and Mike would be trading places in Africa, like two ships passing in the night. Dr. Curtis needs Shane to handle some security issues in wherever the plane crashed in Lost, some non-existent place, or in Africa wherever Mike was setting up a new clinic. Shane is leaving this afternoon and Mike will be coming home tomorrow. Rick, one of the other guardians, will be checking in on us tonight after Shane leaves and in the morning before Mike comes home.

I'm sure Shane found a way to inform Mike about his punishment of not letting me play in Friday's basketball game. He probably texted all the deets so when Mike had cell service again he'd get the messages but when I tell Mike he changed his mind before he left, he won't be able to call Shane to confirm or deny it since Shane will be incommunicado. I also used a text spoofing app to send Mike a text that appeared to be from Shane's number during the time Shane was at the airport so Mike should get that fake text before he gets home. The text read: Julie & I talked- going to let her play Fri she'll fill you in. Hopefully it looks like something an old white British guy would send. I'll tell coach Ryder that Shane changed his mind about letting me play and he can talk to Mike if he has any questions.

As soon as Mike walks through the door, I put my plan into action, telling him that Shane had a change of heart and said it's okay for me to play on Friday.

"I missed you too, Julie." Mike pretends to be offended, then laughs, pulling me into a hug.

"I'm sorry, I really did miss you, Mike. I'm just so happy Shane changed his mind about the game." I smile and hug Mike back, feeling a pang of guilt for lying to him.

"I know, darlin', I got his text. Let me say hi to your sisters and grab a bite to eat and a quick shower, then we'll talk more about it in my room. Ok?"

"Sure, you could definitely use a shower." I wave my hand in front of my nose and say, "p.u." before taking off down the hall as Mike chases after me.

Later that night

Julie's pov

When Mike and I spoke in his room, I convinced him that Shane said I could be grounded for one week instead of missing the game. Mike wasn't thrilled hearing how I disrespected Mr. Kemp to earn the detention that led to Shane barring me from Friday's game but he let it go, knowing Shane had already handled it.

After having a nice dinner with Mike, we all watched a movie in one of the common rooms. Carrie and I wound up falling asleep on the couch next to him. Mike stayed with us, eventually dozing off as well before the end of the movie. Lisa and Stacey tucked us in, placing some blankets over us before heading off to bed themselves.

Friday's basketball game

Stacey's pov

Julie's plan worked so she was able to play tonight. It was obvious though, about ten minutes in, that her head just wasn't in the game. She neglected to take some open shots, missed three out of four of her free throws, had the ball stolen from her twice, and was in danger of fouling out halfway through the second quarter.

During halftime she sulked in the locker room and was in such a pissy mood she practically ripped me a new one when I tried to go over some plays with her. She wasn't even listening to coach Ryder, on or off the court. He didn't start her after the half since she was already in foul trouble, which soured her mood even more. When he did finally put her back in, she missed two rebounds, blew an easy lay-up, and fouled out with four and a half minutes left in the game.

We ended up losing by twelve points. Honestly, even if Julie was on top of her game, I don't think we would have won anyway. Their team out-shot us and had a much stronger and quicker defense. They out-hustled us as well and were better at controlling the boards. Mike and I tried to talk to Julie after the game but she was too angry to listen. She knew she had a lousy game and blamed herself for our loss.