Chapter - 14

A/N - This chapter is a rollercoaster ride. Are you ready for it?

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

==========

It was not supposed to be this harder. It was not supposed to be this overwhelming either.

Louis felt exactly that.

He had to appoint Zayn to the patrolling duty and ignore his concerned yet teasing questions about the whole mess that was Harry's heat. He had to talk to Liam and make the stubborn piece of shit eat something and shout at him when he would not listen. It was hard to explain the betas he appointed around the border of the pack the security system when his mind was jeopardized with a certain omega's thoughts.

He came back home that later that night to find his meal ready on the kitchen top and a chit from his mum, saying best of luck. Louis tried not to swear at his mum's nosiness. He felt shy and at the same time apprehensive. The chit went on the fridge with a P.S added to it by him.

"You are almost 45, mum. Get a grip!"

========

The stairs for his floor was the most tiresome journey to Louis. He counted the steps, eyes set on his boots. It made a scrunching noise and the cracking of the woods was heard too. Louis wondered why he did not notice any of these before. He could hear the smacking sound of his heels and he could hear the loud thrumming of his heart.

As he turned the last landing, he smelt it.

The smell was wafting in the air as Louis gripped the railing, his nostrils flaring. The sweet smell of jasmine and something like a newborn baby, mixed with the freshness of the dripping honey from the honey crop. Like a hypnotized bear to the smell of honey, Louis unlocked the door. The jingling sound of his keys made the loudest noise in the silent hall. Louis closed the door behind himself, locking it and then throwing the keys in the bowl on the table. His shoes were placed neatly, maybe for the first time in his lifetime, and his coat fell on the sofa. As he stepped into the living room, his eyes scanned the room, searching. His alpha flared its snout, scratching at his inner walls. Louis braced himself when he heard the soft rustling of sheets.

Bedroom.

Louis balled his hands, his blunt nails cutting deep in his own palms as he stepped forward. His mouth opened to help his nose in breathing. Louis tried not to wretch as he opened the bedroom door.

The scent was prominent.

It felt like someone had kept the doors closed for a long time and now that the door was open, the scent poured out of the door, enveloping Louis completely. Louis felt hot, his eyes losing focus for a second and when he blinked back to his senses, his eyes found the bed. Louis gripped the doorknob with everything he had in him. His eyes took in the scene and his alpha roared in his chest, snarling to be free.

Harry was sitting at the furthest corner of the bed; his eyes wide open with tears clinging to those long lashes. Those lips were sinfully red as the omega bit onto them, trying to say something. Those curly strands of his hair fell around his face, framing that baby face with something like vulnerability. Those cheeks were crimson, flushed with something like tiredness.