Chapter - 15

The air was stifled, Liam could feel it against his heated face. His eyes were burning with tears trying to come out. He held his breath, trying not to sob.
The line was silent, in fear that Niall had hung up, Liam pulled the phone away to look at the display.

No.

It was still connected.

"Niall..."

His voice was desperate, scared that he was dreaming, scared that Niall would vanish, the call would be dropped.

There was no answer and Liam waited, his eyes wide with fear, anxiousness and desperation.

"Niall," Liam said again, like a mantra, his lips forming the word again and again.

"You don't deserve forgiveness, Liam," Niall said, his voice quivering and soft.

Liam closed his eyes, the words going over his head, only the voice staying. The soft whisper of Niall's words echoed around Liam, making his heart speed up. Liam clutched the hem of his shirt, just to stay grounded.

"I..." Niall stopped, heavily breathing, "I understand what you went through but..."

Liam closed his eyes, "I didn't tell you that for sympathy."

Niall choked out a laugh, "Of course. Proud as always."

Liam shook his head, tears marring his eyelashes, "An old lion is still a lion."

Niall sniffled, "I... I don't know what to do. Liam, I..."

Liam let out a shaky exhale, his heart beating in a tight fist, "come back to me."

Niall whimpered, "never. No. We can't..."

Heart almost to his throat, Liam stared at the sun, his eyes unmoving, "we?"

There was no answer.

Anxiety made his heart race fast, "we? What are you talking about?"

The line went dead.

Liam tore the phone away from his ear and looked down at the number. His fingers shook as he redialed the number.

A growl shook through him.

It was switched off.

Liam jumped up, shoving the phone down his pocket, he ran.

He had to find Niall. Anyhow.

======

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Louis almost shouted through the phone.

"Well, I warned you before, Louis," the doctor sounded irritated and Louis wanted to reach through the phone to grab at his neck and break it, "the injections work only 99% of the time. It seems like you are an exceptional case here."

Louis let out a hysterical laugh, "oh, should I feel happy about it? Do you want a treat? How about I tell my men to go and break your hospital down for me?"

The doctor sighed, sounding more at the edge, "I am not at fault, Louis, and the more time you spend on me, the more desperate you are leaving your omega."

Louis shook his head, his fingers pressed against his temple, "Do something. I can't go back in there. He is in heat, complete heat, do you hear me? It was not supposed to happen. His heat was supposed to hit him tomorrow night. How is that happening now?"

The doctor was silent but the background noise told Louis that he was going through some papers. Louis waited, he couldn't do anything else anyway.