18

Finally!!!

I stretch my arms and sigh as I look at the time. I spring from my chair and collect my purse and head to the subway. On my way home, I notice the thing that I've been longing to buy and like some reflex action, I pull out my diary to write down a number.

Half way there!

I utter the words as a smile spreads on my face.

And though it was my first day at the La Floréla, and usually the first days are exciting compared to the other monotonous days, I felt restless the whole time. I was counting down the hours left to get home. And once I did, I entered my pass code on the door and pushed the door open.
No shoes. And realising the situation of him being in the station, having a crazy day, I shut the door behind me and remove my heels.

As I enter the one and only room that I have, the sound of the knob turning grabs my attention and I turn back to find him in his weary self, dragging himself across to reach me.

I pull him into a hug and I can tell that he could feel my smile behind his head. That was just how much happy and excited I was to see him after a long, boring day. A similar feeling that you get when you see your crush in your school everyday!

I wanna play ....

He said while rubbing my back with his slender yet soft fingers.

Although his statement took me by surprise, I played along trying not to get what he meant.

We can play chess!

Okay!

O-okay??
So, he really meant the play as in play? What children do and not what I -

I pull out of the hug and give him a poker face, which only made him to raise his eyebrow ....

Okay, fine! I'll set it for us! Just sit on the bed ...

I should admit that I loved playing chess above any game. I set it on the bed and take my seat and he took his opposite to mine.

So, what are we betting on? Or do you just wanna play without any-

I was soon cut off from completing my speech.

I win, we're doing it again and if you win, which you definitely will not, we can finish watching the movie ....

I could feel his invisible smirk coming off from his face although he was playing so nonchalant. Although I am quite a competitive person, at that moment, I only wanted to lose.

Queen down. Rook down.

His eyes finally left the chess board and met mine for a second, to only get back to the board.

It was not like I was losing on purpose, although initially, I did plan to lose cos the offer sounded like heaven to my ears, and at one point I just wanted to win. Nothing can beat my competitive spirit. But he came on  too strong and I ended up losing, earning his triumphant smile.

And then came that smirk! Something I've been dying to see all this while!