Dealing with sickness

Vincent

We got through the third month of treatment and entered the fourth month. I only had two more months after this treatment to finish. Then there would be a follow-up doctor's visits. It was now September. The weather was still warm, and I didn't want to stay cooped up again.

I missed the beach house, but I shuttered it for the season, so Lacey gave me what I wanted. Since it was the weekend, I had a break from the treatments. We got into the car, and she drove to a location, pulling into a spot then parking.

I looked around as I saw the water.

"I figure we could spend some time at the beach since it's still seasonably warm," she mentioned as I looked at her. I leaned over and kissed her before getting out of the car.

She helped me as we walked a little. We held hands, and she wrapped her other arm around me. This moment right here was incredible. Now I understood what she meant with simple things.

We stood there as I looked at the water. The sound of it moving against the shoreline was relaxing.

"Are you selling the beach house?" She asked as I turned to look at her.

"I was, but when you returned, I decided not to," I answered as she looked at me and smiled.

"Good, because I adore that place," she commented as I smiled.

I felt tired, and she brought me home. We walked into the house after arriving; then she helped me to the couch. I wasn't used to depending on someone. It was surreal.

Sitting down on the couch, I leaned back and watched her flutter around until she returned with a book.

"I thought today we could read Pride and Prejudice," she mentioned as she sat next to me.

"It's a solid choice," I commented as she read. I sat there, listening to the words flow from her mouth, springing to life. Lacey read to me often. It not only helped her, but I enjoyed it when she did.

Soon I drifted off to sleep like so many other times.

Lacey

I looked next to me to see Vincent asleep. I pulled a blanket from the back of the couch and covered him with it. Monday, he had a doctor's appointment regarding how he is responding to treatment.

Every month we met with the doctor, and he ran tests to check Vincent's progress. We had hope that the tests would show the Cancer disappeared. It wasn't, but it was shrinking. I was hoping one day the doctor would tell us that it disappeared. We both clung to hope because that's all we both had at the moment.

The next day, I was in the kitchen preparing food for Vincent when I heard something. Turning, I saw him standing in the doorway.

"You didn't have to come to the kitchen; I would have brought your food to you," I mentioned as he looked at me.

"I wanted to eat in the kitchen. I would rather do other things in the bedroom," Vincent remarked with an irritated tone. I watched as he slowly walked over and took a seat at the counter as I set his plate in front of him.

"Vincent, I know it's been a while, but you need your energy," I reminded him.

"I know that, Lacey," he snapped at me as I stood there. He placed his hand on his bandana that he wore to cover his head. "I'm sorry; it's frustrating to deal with this situation." Frustration filled his tone.

"Until the oncologist clears you, suck it up," I said, shrugging and not caring if he snapped at me or not. I could handle his moods.

"I prefer to suck on something else," he remarked with a look I noticed many times. A smile curled on my lips, knowing how much he needed a release, but his body stopped him.