Lexie

Vincent

"What were you thinking?" Lacey asked me.

"My sister," I answered.

She looked at me and didn't press any further, but I wanted to tell her about my sister. It had been a while since I could speak about her.

"I would like to tell you about my sister," I said to her as she looked at me. It was time. We sat down, and I started telling her about Lexie. I told her about when we were kids and how our childhood was, then I told her about how close we were, and she was more like a mother to me than my mother. How she protected me from my father, to keep him from unleashing his rage onto me.

I described my upbringing as upper class, but not treated like it. We had to act appropriately or suffer punishment at the hands of a vicious man. Lexie protected me in a way that I could survive. My father loathed me. He expected another girl born and sorely disappointed when I turned out to be a boy. From that moment, he despised me and made it known.

"I can't even imagine what it must have been like for you," she said, shaking her head in disbelief.

"Horrid," I said.

"What happened when she became sick?" She asked me. I looked at her and told her what happened.

"Vincent, we have to meet with investors," Channing announced as I nodded.

"Mr. Powers, you have a call on the line," Emmy informed me.

"Thank you, Emmy. Take the meeting Channing," I said as he gave me a look. I picked up the phone. He left, and I answered to hear Lexie greet me. We spoke for a few minutes; then, she delivered the news to me that didn't prepare me. After speaking for a few more minutes, I hung up.

I called Emmy back into my office.

"Yes, Mr. Powers?" She said to me.

"I want you to clear my schedule and inform Mr. Miller I will be unavailable for a while," I answered as I walked out of my office. I called Cruz as I walked towards the elevators. He met me in the parking garage, and I climbed into the car. We left, and he drove to where Lexie was staying.

He pulled up to a house, and I got out of the car. Walking to the door, I knocked as it opened. I stood there as she looked at me and smiled.

"Ready?" I asked as she nodded.

I grabbed her bags as Cruz helped me, and we placed them into the back as she climbed into the backseat. Once we became situated, Cruz pulled out of the driveway and drove us to a beach house I purchased. He pulled into the driveway and parked as we helped her with her bags into the house.

We carried them up to a room, and she settled in.

Cruz looked at me. "I won't be returning to work for some time, but I need you to monitor things for me," I informed him.

"Does this have anything to do with a particular partner?" He asked me. I gave him a look as he nodded. "I'll keep you informed."

Cruz left as Lexie came downstairs.

"All set?" I asked her.

"Yes," she answered as we walked through the living room, through the kitchen, and out the back door. She took off her shoes as she walked towards the beach. I joined her.

We walked along the shoreline.

"Are you sure there isn't any treatment?" I asked her as we walked.

"No, cancer I have is aggressive. It was my stupid mistake. I ignored the signs, refusing to see a doctor. Now, I want to spend time with my little brother and be happy," she told me as she smiled.

I stopped, as did she, and I looked at her. "I don't want to lose you," I said as I furrowed my brows.

"I know, but Vincent, sometimes we lose people we don't want to lose. It's part of life. That doesn't mean you can't settle down," she reminded me, giving me a look.

"Lexie," I said.

"Vincent, you need someone to love you as I do. You need that one of a kind of love. Promise me that you will try to find love," she demanded.

I looked at her as she gave me her infamous look. The kind that says, I'm right, and you know it. That was the look.

"Vincent, you deserve love. God knows, our parents sucked at it. We were like the step-ford children except for our bastard father," she remarked as I shook my head.

"I loathe him," I spoke through gritted teeth.

"I know, but therefore, I ask for you to bring me here. If I die, I want to die somewhere, where I'm happy and care about me. I want to spend my remaining days with my not-so-little brother," she grinned as I smiled back at her. I couldn't feel down with Lexie around me. She was the only one that made sense of my life.

We finished our walk, returning to the beach house. She grew tired and needed to rest.

Over the next several days, I did everything I could to make her remaining days worthwhile. She grew weaker and sicker. I cared for her as she faded. She started sleeping more than she was up. The rare times she was awake, we discussed Little Women and told me that I needed to find love.

Finally, the day arrived when the battle became too much. We sat on the couch, and she laid her head on my shoulder.

"Vincent?" She said.

"Yes," I asked.

"Tell me a story," she said as I looked at her.

"Okay, once upon a time, there was this princess and treated poorly. Hoping to one day find love and happiness, she did whatever she could to work for it. Men from around the world took advantage of her kind heart, making her cold towards love," I said as she sat there.

"One day, a prince searched for that special princess and found her. Trying to convince her that he was the one she searched for, he persuaded her to believe him. It took many times to persuade her, but one day he could. Taking a risk, they fell in love, married, and had beautiful children. All because the prince made a promise to his sister, the first princess," I finished as I looked over.

I gently touched Lexie but realized she passed. I sat there as her head lay upon my shoulder, with tears falling down my cheeks.

"I promise you, Lexie, that I will find someone who will love me like you did," I said as I sat there as she was next to me.

I waited two hours before calling Cruz to have him make the calls. I needed a few more hours with her. When they took her, it would be final, and I couldn't let go.

I stood there as the local coroner came to retrieve her body. I knew when her funeral arrived, issues between my parents and myself would implode. I didn't care. They didn't deserve her last moments because they didn't earn them.

I was correct as we argued with each other. My parents accused me of taking her and killing her for my selfish reasons. I accused them of being rightful bastards and banned from the funeral after I hit my bastard father, and my bitch of a mother slapped me. It didn't matter because they weren't my family. My family died.

I sat there as Lacey looked at me with tears streaming down her face. She stood up from her seat and moved towards me as she wrapped her arms around me. I grabbed ahold of her and buried my head into her. I needed that comfort. It had been the first time I spoke about my sister to anyone. Cruz knew about Lexie and presented when everything happened, but to discuss it finally was difficult.

I sat there as Lacey held me to her. I looked up at her as I moved a strand away from her face. She looked at me with empathy.

"Your sister would be proud of you and the man you've become. Everything you have said about her, all she ever wanted was your happiness," she said as I looked at her.

She placed her hands on the side of my face as I had my arms around her waist. I couldn't wait for our trip to Tuscany, Italy, which I had a surprise.