Funeral

Lacey

Today was the day of Valeria's funeral. My heart ached for Sergio. I misjudged him when I met him, not realizing why he was doing the things he did. I guess we all play the part.

"Ready?" Vincent asked, walking into the bedroom as I finished putting on my shoes.

"Unfortunately, yes," I answered somberly. I stood as we both walked out of the room together. After putting on our coats, we walked out to get into Cruz's car. Emmy was sitting in the front seat. He drove the four of us to the funeral home, where they were conducting services.

I had never been to a funeral. It was surreal to pay respects to someone who had been alive at one point. Even when my father died, I didn't mourn. I felt nothing for him.

I felt more sadness for Sergio and his family than I ever felt for anyone. Grief is a powerful thing. It engulfs you, and you feel like your drowning in hopes one day you reach the surface.

We pulled into the parking lot and parked, emerging from the car. Vincent escorted me into the funeral home, where we saw many people paying their respects. We made our way over to Sergio, who was speaking with a few people.

"Sergio?" I said as he excused himself. He walked over to greet us, and I hugged him. "I'm so sorry," I apologized as he looked at me.

"Lacey," he said, but I shook my head. I still felt immense guilt. "Look at me, do not blame yourself for this. You had nothing to do with them taking her or the others. Valeria wouldn't want you to accept blame. You risked your life to help them."

"How can you be okay with this?" I asked as he looked at me.

Then we heard a little voice yell, "Papa!"

I turned to see a little boy run towards Sergio as he leaned down and scooped him up, holding him in his arms.

"Because I have something to remind me of Valeria," he answered as I looked at him and the little boy. "Meet Santino, our son," he introduced us to their son.

He turned to Sergio and asked, "Where's Mamá?"

"Remember, I said she was with the angels up in heaven?" He asked Santino.

"Sí," he answered.

"They're taking care of her while she watches over us. She's your guardian angel and always will be," he assured him.

Santino looked at him and frowned as Sergio hugged him. My heart broke at seeing the reality of it all. Santino looked at me and smiled as I smiled back.

"Who are you?" He asked me.

"I'm a friend of your mommy and daddy," I answered as he looked at me. I gave him a soft smile as he smiled back at me.

"He likes you," Sergio said to me as I looked at him. "He rarely smiles at many people and is shy."

He wiggles out of Sergio's arms as he set Santino down. I watched as the little boy walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my leg, offering me a hug. I crouched and looked at him.

"May I?" I asked as I held out my arms to him. He hugged me as I hugged him back. Sometimes a simple gesture needed. He let go of me and ran over to an older couple as they took his hand.

"Those are my parents. They help us with Santino a lot. I called them right after I spoke to Santino. They went to get him and protect him while we searched for everyone," he explained as we listened.

Someone gestured to him as he excused himself to greet other people. Vincent and I walked over to Cruz and Joe, who was with Emmy and Gretchen. We spoke with them until it was time to sit and the funeral to start.