Answers

Cruz

I visited Sergio the next day before Vincent got his hands on him. I needed to find out what was happening and why he would say anything about Vincent's father? Better yet, how the hell did he know this information?

I pulled into his driveway and exited the car as I walked up to his front door. I knocked twice before he answered while on the phone. He waved me inside as I followed him while overhearing his conversation.

"Yes, sir, they don't suspect a thing. Everything is still intact. I will call with an update," he said as he hung up. He set his phone down and looked at me. "I'm guessing Vincent sent you."

"He wants to rip you apart right now but feels that it would equip me for the job. If you tell me how the hell you knew about Vincent's father?" I snapped as he stood there, not flinching.

"I'm a Federal Agent for Homeland Security, working with ICE to stop human trafficking. Any more questions?" He asked me as I looked at him, stunned. "I didn't think so. Follow me, Valeria is cooking."

I followed him into the kitchen as his wife was preparing food. I still didn't know if I should believe him. That was until he handed me something, and I opened it to reveal his credentials. He was telling the truth.

I sat down on a stool as Valeria dished out food onto plates and handed them to us. When she finished, she joined us. We sat at the tall table and ate, while Sergio explained vital details.

"While the FBI takes down businesses like Carter Foley's, my agency tracks the organization's head that handles all human trafficking. We watched Alastair Reeves, aka Clayton Powers, trying to gather enough evidence to arrest him. He's eluded arrest by hiring like Carter Foley," he explained as he ate.

"If you are doing all this, then why say anything to Lacey?" I asked him.

"I need them to hate me. No one can know who I am, and it gives me a chance to apprehend Clayton," he answered.

"You're assuming he will come after Lacey," I told him.

"There's no assumption, I know he's coming. Carter should have groomed her to hand her off to him. She reneged on the deal, keeping Lacey for herself. No one crosses Clayton and lives to tell," he said.

"No one can even find her or Rafe," I mentioned as he arched an eyebrow at me.

"Because they're dead," he informed me as I looked at him and furrowed my brows. "We found Carter's body with a bullet in her head and a burned-out vehicle with a very crispy person inside. They may hate me, but I need to continue acting as Lacey's bodyguard. We need Clayton to emerge and show his face."

"Vincent will never allow it," I warned him.

"He has no choice. I have a job to do. Do you want Lacey safe or dead?" He asked me as I looked at him feeling unnerved with the whole situation. "Let me break this down for you. Women, men, and children get taken and sold every day. When they become of no use, the traffickers kill them. If they can serve a purpose, they live. They don't groom all people to sell as Lacey was. They treat them as a sex slave or slaves. Human trafficking has become a profitable business of late. It ranks up there, along with drugs," he told me.

I sat there as I thought about everything he said. He was right. Human trafficking has become more prevalent. No one was safe from it, and if they think they were, they were lying to themselves.

"I'll speak to Vincent, but know Lacey won't welcome you around her. She spent years feeling distrustful of people," I reasoned as he looked at me.

I finished eating, then left to see Vincent and Lacey. I had to persuade them both to allow Sergio to continue protecting Lacey. That would be easier said than done.

Vincent

I walked into the living room to find Lacey curled up on the couch reading. She was reading Huckleberry Finn. I sat next to her and tapped her gently on the leg as she looked up from the book.

"What do you think of the story?" I asked her.

"Oddly, it seems so different, yet similar how society is," she remarked.

"How so?" I asked her.

"Huck learns so many lessons in his quest for freedom and adventure. It reminds me of myself. I wanted freedom from a life I felt subjected to and found adventure with someone I least expected to," she reasoned as I smiled at her. She smiled back at me.

I loved listening to her thoughts. I found them fascinating and refreshing. She saw life differently than most people. While most would falter, she never did she persevered. It was an admirable trait.

As we discussed the book, the door opened and in walked Cruz. I looked at him and realized I need to lock my door more often.

He walked in and sat down in a chair.

"Well," I asked him, not wanting to elaborate further.

"I spoke with Sergio. He explained that he thought that's what you wanted him to do," he answered.

His answer annoyed me. "I would have never told him that," I said, my tone filled with annoyance.

"He realized that and sent his apologies," Cruz told me as I became irritated.

Lacey closed the book and set it down on the end table. "That doesn't explain how he knew about Vincent's father," she reminded him.

"Oh, that he did some researched when Vincent offered the job to him as any good bodyguard would do," he said casually. Why did I have a feeling Cruz was lying to me? That's because he was.

Lacey and I looked at him as if he lost his damn mind.

"I have to meet Joe," Cruz said as he stood and quickly left the house.

"Does he realize we know that he's lying?" Lacey asked me as I looked at her, and she looked back at me while shrugging. I rolled my eyes as I stood up and went into the kitchen.

Lacey

I got up and followed Vincent into the kitchen. He was getting something to drink. I walked over to the island and leaned on it with my palms.

"If Cruz is lying about Sergio, then maybe there is a reason for it," I said to him.

He looked at me. "Lacey, you hate lying," I reminded her.

"Vincent, he knows we know he is lying to us. Cruz is not a stupid man. I also understand that sometimes people will do whatever they can to protect you. If you had told me the truth, I would understand, then hearing it from another person," I reasoned as he gave me a 'really' look. I gave him the same look back.

"You slapped me," he reminded me.

"That I have apologized for, and you accepted many times last night," I reminded him as he arched an eyebrow at me as I smiled sweetly at him.

I walked over to him and stood in front of him. He set his glass down on the counter and pulled me to him.

"You're lucky. I love you very much," Vincent said to me.

"You're the lucky ones," I smirked as he shook his head at me, before capturing my lips with his own. I wrapped my arms around his neck as I kissed him back. Our kiss intensified as it grew hungrier until someone interrupted us, saying, "Anyone home?"

We dropped our heads in defeat as Joe came into the kitchen. We turned and looked at him suspiciously. He looked at us a bit confused. Yep, Cruz was lying. We needed to find out what he was lying about with this scenario.