Last treatment

Vincent

Today was my last treatment. It would be a few weeks until I would have the bone marrow transplant. The time gave my body a chance to rest. They searched and found an anonymous match, but the doctor wanted me to take it easy before they did the procedure. They wanted me to have a few weeks to recover and gain some strength back.

I sat in the chair as they administered my last treatment and thought about Lacey, who sat with me as she held my hand. The only reason I got through the treatments is because of her.

When they first diagnosed me, I met with the doctor who gave me my options. I hadn't agreed to anything until I met her and she signed the contract. After she signed the contract, I phoned my doctor and agreed to treatments. As we spent the month together, I wanted to continue because of her. When she left, I discontinued the treatments. Why continue when you have no one waiting for you?

"Vincent?" I heard her say, breaking me from my thoughts. I turned to her. "You're almost done." She gave me a reassuring smile as I returned it.

A little while later, I completed my treatment. The nurse brought in a wheelchair, and Lacey helped me into it. Once I sat down, I closed my eyes. It exhausted me. She wheeled me out to the car as Cruz helped her with getting me into the car. Before she climbed inside, I leaned over and heaved. I felt a hand on the back of my head, stroking it as I empty the contents of my stomach.

When I finished, she handed me a napkin along with a bottle of water. I took a swig and flushed my mouth out with it, then handed it back to her. Cruz situated me and closed the door as she disposed of the napkin and water bottle, then climbed into the other side. I leaned over and laid my head on her shoulder, falling asleep as Cruz drove us home. I completed the last treatment.

Thank god for that.

Lacey

We pulled up in front of the house, and Cruz helped me take Vincent into the house. Once we were inside, we sat him down on the couch. Today wiped him out, I could tell with the lack of conversation.

I went to get his pills and water to help with nausea. He took two, then a drink of water. He handed me the glass back, and I sat it on the coffee table. Cruz left a few minutes later, to give us some privacy.

"Do you want to lie down?" I asked him.

"No, I'm tired of lying down. I want to sit here and enjoy my time with you, not worry about a treatment tomorrow," Vincent replied with relief.

He slid his hand into mine as we sat there in comfortable silence. I've learned that Vincent sometimes preferred to sit here in silence, especially when it had been a rough day.

"My sister passed away from Cancer four months before I met you. I met Victoria during the time she was sick. When she passed, I threw myself into my work, distancing myself from everyone," he admitted, surprising me.

"Vincent, you don't have to discuss this if you don't want to," I assured him.

He looked at me. "I want to be honest with you," he said as I looked at him.

"Okay," I said.

"The items you found at the beach house, I brought there shortly before she died. She wanted to go to a place that made her happy. It sure in the hell wasn't with our parents. I brought her there, and a few days later, she became worse, then I transported her to the hospital. My parents accused me of killing her because she went to the beach house and died shortly afterward. She checked herself out of the hospital and ceased all treatments. I begged her not to, but she reasoned she was already dying; she didn't want to prolong it," he explained.