Complications

Lacey

Cruz came to pick us up to drive us to the hospital. Today was my surgery. The doctor explained that I would need to stay the night and return home as long as everything was fine.

We pulled up to the doors, and I got out of the car. Vincent grabbed my bag as I looked at him. He gave me a reassuring look as I took a deep breath. I know I shouldn't be apprehensive, but I couldn't help it. There's always a chance for complications from any surgery.

We walked into the hospital, and I signed in. They gave me forms to fill out, which Vincent helped me. Once they registered me, they took me back to the triage room to prepare me. They allowed Vincent back with me until they took me into surgery.

Unfamiliar people came in to take care of distinct things. I couldn't keep track of them, except for the fact they kept poking with a needle. I will be so happy when this is over.

At one point, the Anesthesiologist came to place an IV in my hand. I laid in bed as Vincent stayed with me. We talked a bit; then I started yawning.

"Are you feeling sleepy?" He asked me. I nodded as I yawned.

A few minutes later, a nurse walked into the room. "I came to take Mrs. Powers back to surgery. The procedure shouldn't take that long. When she wakes up in recovery, you should be able to see her," the nurse assured us.

Vincent leaned over and pressed his lips to mine as he kissed me. "I'll be right here when you wake up," he reassured me as I nodded.

"I love you," I said to him.

"I love you more," he replied as he kissed my hand. They wheeled me out of the room and took me back to the surgical room. They wheeled me into the room, and the doctor spoke to me along with other staff members. They had me count backward as my eyes closed, and I drifted into a peaceful slumber.

Vincent

I sat in the waiting room, along with Cruz, as the doctor performed her surgical procedure. She developed scar tissue from the termination. They performed the procedure poorly, without followups.

The doctor was going to remove the extra scar tissue, try to save any part of her reproductive system. He explained the surgery would take two hours; then they would move her to recovery. I sat there and thought about everything she told me regarding all of this.

How can people be so cruel? Whether you're in the profession that she was in or not, it should have been her decision to keep the child. I watched how it affected her affected me. I never planned on having a relationship when I met Lacey. I was dying and didn't know if the treatments would be successful.

I thought back on our first meeting and when she signed the contract. My mind drifted to our time together at the beach house. I silently chuckled to myself. We still have that damn teddy bear.

"Vincent. Lacey will be okay," Cruz reassured me.

I checked my watch and noticed the time. "Why haven't we heard anything yet?" I asked him with a look.

"Every surgery is different," he reasoned as I looked at him, not believing it. We sat there as time passed, and I was growing impatient. I needed to know if my wife was okay. Wife; I would have never imagined referring to someone as one.

I felt a tap, then Cruz pointed at the doorway. I turned as the doctor stood there. I stood up and walked over to him.

"How's Lacey?" I asked.

He looked at me and said, "There was a complication."

"What complication?" I questioned him.

"During the surgery, Lacey started hemorrhaging. We gave her blood transfusions, but she crashed," the doctor said as I looked him, feeling my world cave on me. "We were able to revive her, but she slipped into a coma. It will be up to her if she wakes now."

I stood there in shock.

"Vincent, there is one more thing you need to know," he added as I looked at him.

"What's that?" I asked him.

"During the surgery, we found something," he answered.

"What did you find?" I asked as I looked at him.

"A fetus," he answered as I stood there, stunned. "Lacey is four weeks along, and we were able to finish the surgery without disturbing it, but whether it survives is completely up to Lacey now."

"I want to see my wife," I told him. He nodded as I followed him to her room. We reached the room she was in, and I stood there at the doorway. Lacey was lying in a bed connected to machines. The doctor left us as I walked into the room.

I reached over and took her hand into mine as my eyes trailed her body. A baby was the one thing we both wanted to become a reality. I held her hand in mine as I sat down in a chair next to her bed.

I took my hand, placing it on her forehead and brush her hair away.

"Lacey, your wish will come true, but you need to wake up, my love," I whispered as the machines beeped. "Please open your eyes," I begged her as tears fell down my cheeks. Then I heard the machines go crazy.

People rushed into the room as she started crashing. They shoved me out of the room as they worked on her. I fought to get back into the room, but they kept me out. I dropped to my knees, praying that she survived. For once in my life, I found someone. They couldn't take her from me now; it wasn't right.

I stayed on my knees as I felt someone touch my shoulder and looked up to see...

To continue in The Businessman's Wife.