Chapter 17

"Hi, Hunter. You asked to see us?" Sonya said as she led the Golden Gloves trio into the boss's office. Although Hunter had just invited them to enter, Sonya saw that he wasn't alone in the room. He was standing in front of his desk, talking with a short, extremely attractive woman dressed in a very expensive-looking black business suit. She had her blonde hair up, perfectly arranged, but Sonya could see pink dye at the ends of it. The woman was holding a leather briefcase.

"Ah, come in, ladies," Hunter said to the new arrivals. "Allow me to introduce Alexa Bliss. She's Lucy Thorne's PA."

Handshakes were exchanged, with Hunter introducing each of the wrestlers in turn.

"You guys are the ones who debuted tonight," Bliss commented when the formalities were over with.

"That's right," Mandy smiled.

"Well, good luck. I'm sure Ms Thorne will be paying attention to how you get on."

Now it was Sonya's turn to smile, recalling her chance encounter with WWE's owner roughly a year earlier. Lucy Thorne had mentioned having high hopes for Sonya, and that was still something she thought about often. "I'm sure she will," she replied.

Bliss turned her attention back to Hunter. "Anyway, I think we're done here, Hunter. I'll let you get on. Always a pleasure to see you."

Hunter nodded politely. "You too. Have a good night."

"Nice to meet you all," Bliss said to the women on her way to the door.

Once Bliss had closed the door, Sonya had an irrational urge to ask what the meeting had been about, but of course it was none of her business. She was there to work for NXT, not to run the place.

"Sorry, I can't help myself asking, more call ups?" Zelina asked, stealing the thunder that Sonya wouldn't have dared to do anything with anyway.

Hunter raised his eyebrows, looking more intrigued by the question than annoyed by it.

Feeling obliged to fill the moment of silence, Zelina explained herself. "Sorry, I didn't mean to pry. It's just that everyone in the locker rooms knows Ms Bliss comes around shortly before calls ups happen."

'Everyone' hadn't included Sonya and Mandy, until now at least. Somehow they had never happened across that piece of supposed locker room lore.

"I can neither confirm nor deny," Hunter said, which sounded suspiciously like a yes to Sonya. "Now, to business." He walked around behind his desk and sat down, hitting the enter key on his laptop to wake it up from sleep mode. "Gather around," he instructed them.

Following Mandy around behind the desk, Sonya wondered what they were going to be asked to look at. She didn't have to wait long to find out because as soon as she was able to see the laptop screen, she saw four different logos on it. All four were the words Golden Gloves written in stylish gold lettering on black backgrounds.

"I need you guys to make some choices for your stable," Hunter said. "First, we need to select a logo, and when we've done that, it'll be time to choose your theme music."

"Yes! I've been waiting for that!" Mandy said excitedly, while Sonya and Zelina smiled in anticipation.

"So, these are the four logos I'd like you to choose from," Hunter said.

Personally, Sonya didn't have much of a preference. All of the logos looked good to her. "Maybe rule out the third one," was her only suggestion. "I don't think the writing is particularly easy to read in that one."

"I agree," Zelina said. She and Mandy discussed it for a couple of minutes, before finding common ground on logo number two.

"Sonya?" Mandy asked.