Chapter 31

WWE were very cautious when it came to concussions. If Sonya hadn't been sure of that before, she definitely was now. Although she had felt pretty much back to normal a few days after Charlotte had kicked her in the head, WWE's senior doctor's decision had been that she would be restricted to light training only for a month.

Light training only meant a couple of hours a day at the Performance Centre, running the ropes and taking the most basic of bumps. It also meant no wrestling, and definitely no televised appearances. It therefore also meant not traveling with Mandy and Zelina when they were on the road working NXT live events.

Being away from Mandy had been the hardest part of the whole thing. At night, with only her necklace with the rose coloured heart pendant to keep her company, Sonya had felt incredibly lonely. That loneliness had given her a renewed appreciation for Mandy, and for their relationship. She considered that there was only one true love out there for a person, and hers was Mandy. She knew that without even a shadow of doubt.

"I love you, Mandy. I'm so glad that month is over," Sonya said. They had just arrived at Full Sail for a night of TV tapings. Sonya's return to action, she had been told, would at long last be taking place during one of the three episodes to be taped.

"I love you too, baby," Mandy said. "And I'm so glad you're back. It was tough, but we got through it."

Leaning in, they exchanged a delicate but passionate kiss. With that, it was time to head inside. They fetched their bags from the trunk and made their way into the building. When they entered the locker room, they found most of the other women had already arrived before them.

Charlotte Flair happened to be one of the closest women to the door, standing in conversation with Becky Lynch. As the person who had inflicted the concussion that had put Sonya on the injured list, Charlotte was quick to approach her and offer a smile. "Sonya. Welcome back. I'm glad you're back to full fitness."

"Thanks, Char," Sonya said warmly. They had texted each other enough times over the past month for Charlotte to be sure there were no hard feelings over the incident. Sonya's stance all along had been that accidents happened in the ring, it was as simple as that. Charlotte had not meant to kick her in the head, so what would have been the point in giving her grief about it?

Moving over to her locker, Sonya received smiles and greetings from most of her colleagues. The NXT roster were something of a family, meaning that anyone who was injured was missed by all until they returned.

Once Sonya had been welcomed back by everyone, Zelina walked over to join her two teammates. "Great to have you back, Son. It hasn't been the same without you."

Sonya smiled. "Thanks, Z. Listen, there's something that's been on my mind while I've been off. I wanted to talk to you about it in person. That night after the rumble, apparently you wanted to come to the hospital to see me, and I told you not to bother. I want to apologise for that, if I seemed rude or dismissive of your friendship. You know I appreciate you. Honestly, I don't even remember saying it. I only know it happened because Mandy told me."

"You were concussed," Zelina said in an understanding tone. "I've had a concussion myself. I know how messed up it makes you. I didn't take any offense, believe me. I'm just glad you're healed up and back with us. Come here." She offered a hug, and Sonya embraced her.

"I love you, Zel, I want you to know that. Mandy and I both do."

"Absolutely," Mandy said. "You're such a good friend, and a valuable mentor. Like Sonya said, we appreciate you."

Releasing Sonya's embrace, Zelina gave one of her broadest smiles. "That means so much to me. I couldn't be happier to be working with you guys. And Sonya, I know we've chatted on the phone and I've already said this, but again, I'm so proud of what you did in that rumble match. It was a performance that should be remembered for a long time to come."