Chapter 45

TJ Wilson and Seth Rollins were waiting for Tessa out in the arena, she had learned. Apparently it was quite commonplace for people to sit out there and talk, away from the hustle and bustle backstage.

On her way to find them, she resolved herself to two things: Firstly, she was going to do her best to avoid a confrontation that would land her in hot water with Lucy Thorne. And secondly, while trying her best with the first objective, she was not going to take any shit from Seth. She had to lose the match because that was the outcome Lucy had decided on. What she didn't have to do was let Seth bury her in the process, which she imagined would be his new plan now that he hadn't been able to weasel his way out of wrestling her.

The two men were sitting at the end of a row in the 100 level seats, pretty much opposite the hard camera. The seat at the end of the row had been left free for her. The guys were busy in conversation, so they didn't notice her until she was almost standing next to them. "Hi," she said, putting some warmth in her voice for TJ's benefit.

"Oh, hi, Tessa," TJ said, turning to look at her.

"Hi," Seth said, showing little enthusiasm, especially considering that it was the first time they were meeting. He wasn't going to bother with a handshake or anything either, Tessa realised. It was fine with her if he wanted to be that way. She had nothing to shake hands with him on anyway.

"Have a seat," TJ said.

"Thanks," she replied, sitting down. "We've got a match to put together," she said, making it clear that she wanted to get straight down to business.

"We have," TJ said. "As you both know, Seth is going over. Personally, even in defeat, I think we should continue where we left off with Miz last week, building Tessa up as a credible threat in the men's division."

"I don't agree," Seth said frankly. "To me it's stupid to have a woman fighting men. If I'm going over, we should get it done quickly and move past this charade."

"Are you fucking serious right now?" Tessa demanded, her blood boiling. How he had the nerve to sit a couple of feet away from her and be so overtly sexist and disrespectful was beyond belief.

"Yeah, I am serious," Seth fired back, looking her right in the eye. "I think this whole thing is a joke. Just because you beat some women up in UFC, people are supposed to buy you showing in WWE and outwrestling men? Get out of here."

"Guys, guys, guys," TJ said, looking at them each in turn as he tried to play peacemaker. "Regardless of what you think about it, Seth, this is what Ms Thorne wants. You will be in the ring with Tessa tonight, and you will put on a good back and forth contest. It will not be a squash."

"Fine" Seth said reluctantly. "I had to make the point face to face that I don't want to make myself look stupid by trying to make her look legit."

"Actually, you didn't say it face to face at all," Tessa snapped. "I know you went crying to Thorne like a little bitch, wanting her to change the match."

"What did you just call me?" Seth demanded angrily.

"Enough!" TJ shouted, now losing his own cool. "Any more of this bullshit from either of you, we'll take this conversation to Ms Thorne's office and see what she makes of how you're acting. Seth, keep your sexist comments to yourself, and Tessa, pull your head in. Understood? We're supposed to be professionals doing a job here."

"Look, I'll work with the guy because, like you said, it's my job. Just don't expect to sit here chatting to him," Tessa said, refusing to even look at Seth. "Let's agree a finish, and he can call the rest out there."

With TJ doing most of the talking, a finish was laid out that both of them could agree to. Tessa was happy that it didn't make her look like garbage. Other than that, she didn't really give a fuck. All she wanted to do was get through the match with Seth and move on to whatever was going to be next for her.