Chapter 25

There wasn't long to go before the start of the NXT Takeover pre-show. Consisting of two matches, the pre-show was intended to warm up the live audience in the arena before the main show started. It also served a secondary purpose, in that the two matches would be taped and used on the next televised episode of NXT.

The first of the two matches on this particular occasion was Mandy Rose vs Sasha Banks. Ever since finding out about it a few days earlier, Mandy had been so excited that she had barely been able to sleep. Fourteen thousand people were expected to pack out the arena for Takeover. What a setting on which to make a televised wrestling debut.

Sonya could tell that underneath the excitement, Mandy was nervous. How could she not be? Sonya had taken it upon herself to be there for her girlfriend, as she was in all aspects of life. Now, as they left the makeup area looking ready for the show, Sonya was getting nervous vibes from her girl again. She realised the time was right to offer some more words of confidence.

Dressed in their ring attire, makeup done, and in Sonya's case, hair up, there was only one finishing touch required before they were totally ready to appear in front of the cameras.

"Son, can you put this on for me, please?" Mandy said, holding out a small bottle of body oil that she had been carrying.

"Of course," Sonya said, taking it. They were standing off to the side of the wide hallway, out of the way of the hustle and bustle that always happened backstage this close to the start of a show.

Mandy held her arms away from her body slightly so that Sonya could start with them.

"I can tell you're nervous, honey," Sonya said after oiling up both hands and getting to work, firmly rubbing the oil into Mandy's arms. "I want you to remember that you, in fact we, have earned this opportunity. We've busted our asses for nearly eighteen months to get to this point. You're great in the ring, and you've got an experienced opponent in Sasha. We both know she's good to work with, once you get past her attitude in the locker room. It's going to be a good match. In years to come, we're going to look back on tonight with nothing but positive memories. Am I right?"

"Yeah, you're right," Mandy said as Sonya crouched down to work on oiling her legs. She was so focused on the match at hand that she didn't pay much attention to the feeling of her girl's hands rubbing the oil into her skin. Ordinarily, she would have revelled in it. "I know it's going to be a good match. It's the damn waiting that's killing me. I just want to be out there, you know?"

"I totally understand," Sonya said.

Standing up a few moments later, Sonya saw surprise in Mandy eyes. She was looking past Sonya, not at her. "What's up?" she asked.

"Lucy Thorne," Mandy said under her breath.

Turning around, Sonya saw the boss approaching them. It surprised Sonya that Thorne would be at an NXT event, but then it was a Takeover, not a regular TV taping at Full Sail. Lucy was wearing a black business suit, as opposed to one of the vintage style outfits she wore on Raw every week as part of her role as Lacey Evans' ally at the top. Beside the boss was Alexa Bliss, the personal assistant who Sonya and Mandy had met before.

"Ladies, hello," Thorne said pleasantly. "Mandy, we've not met. Lucy Thorne."

"Nice to meet you," Mandy said with a smile as they shook hands.

"Sonya, good to see you," Lucy said.

"You too," Sonya said with a smile of her own, noticing that Bliss had hung back, busying herself with a cell phone. "I'd shake hands, but..." She held up her oily hands.

"We're loving you and Lacey together," Mandy said. "It's such a unique angle, and you both look incredible every week."

"Thank you," Lucy said, genuinely appreciating the compliment. "Tonight is your first match, I understand?"