Chapter 44

Money in the Bank was the occasion for the next milestone in Tessa's career. The second time she wrestled a man was also going to be her first match on a WWE pay-per-view. With all due respect to The Miz, she considered facing Seth Rollins to be a step up. He had only been on the main roster for about a year, but he was already seen as one of the best in the business. Although she knew she was going to be booked to lose the match, she hoped Seth would be willing to do his best to make her look good in the process. A burial wasn't what she needed at this early stage of her WWE career.

Entering the building with Sonya and Mandy, Tessa wasn't the only one hoping for a strong performance in a losing effort on the upcoming show. The Golden Gloves were going to lose a match to Clementine and Carmella. The question was how comprehensive would their victory be?

"I have faith in Clem not to ruin us," Mandy said. "She's been good at putting us over in the multiple ass-kickings we've given her."

"I'm confident you'll be fine," Tessa said. "As for me, I have no idea."

"Honestly, if anyone's going to give you a hard time over your booking, I don't think it will be the guys," Mandy said.

"Christ, don't tell me that," Tessa sighed. "The last thing I need is the girls on my case. Have you heard complaints?"

"Sasha was grumbling the other day when she found out she didn't make the card tonight in anything more than a manager role with Bayley. She said something about starting to wrestle men, and she was being sarcastic."

"Brilliant," Tessa said, shaking her head. There was no time to dwell on it, for they had reached the women's locker room.

As they walked in, they found a surprise waiting for them inside. Nikki Bella was in there, standing in the middle of the room, surrounded by most of the other women. The scene looked like a queen holding court. It was safe to say she was popular, Tessa thought. It was only just past the point where she would get that kind of reaction. People were quickly getting used to seeing her around, though.

"Hi, everyone," Mandy said brightly.

Greetings came back at the group of new arrivals, then Natalya handled the formal introductions. "Mandy, Sonya, Tessa, I don't think any of you have met Nikki?"

"No, but I've been looking forward to meeting them," Nikki said brightly. Stepping out of the huddle she was in, she gave each of them a peck on the cheek in greeting.

As Nikki starting waxing lyrical about the potential she saw in the Golden Gloves, Tessa watched on, feeling something stirring inside her. Nikki was one seriously sexy lady. The dark blue dress she had on complimented her gorgeous, athletic figure, and her smile was to die for.

"And you, Tessa, wow! What else can I say?" Nikki said when she was done with Mandy and Sonya. "I used to watch all of your UFC fights. I've never seen anything like the way you used to take people apart. And now here you are fighting guys in WWE. Incredible."

"Thanks, Nikki," Tessa said, feeling a bit shy, which was totally out of character for her. "I'm, uh, having a great time so far."

"So, Nikki, why are you here?" Sonya asked, before laughing at herself. "Oh god, that came out wrong. I didn't mean to sound rude, I just..."

"Relax," Nikki giggled. "I know what you meant. You're trying to say you heard I retired, so why am I back in the locker room?"

"Right," Sonya said, happy to have been let off the hook.

"That's what I was just talking to everyone else about," Nikki said. "I'm not coming back to wrestle. Sadly, that ship has sailed for me. The reason I'm here is that at the end of the show tonight, Lucy is going to appear and fire Stephanie as Smackdown GM. I'm going to be announced as her replacement."