Chapter 20

It was time for Sonya and Mandy to start getting used to the schedule of regular NXT roster members. They would be working TV tapings once every three weeks, on a Wednesday night. In addition to that, there were mini tours of live events most weekends, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Even that busy schedule was nothing like that of main roster talent, who could sometimes go weeks at a time without a chance to go home.

That was a problem in the distant future though, if they were lucky. Right now, they were about to begin their first road trip as a team, traveling with Zelina. To that end, Mandy was driving across Orlando to the address Zelina had given them. They would be picking her up, then heading up to Jacksonville for that night's event.

"It'll be interesting to see how they play things with us this weekend," Mandy commented, keeping her eye on the traffic as they approached where Zelina lived.

"How so?" Sonya asked, looking over at her.

"Well, I was thinking about it, and yeah, we just did a taping as the Golden Gloves, but that episode where we showed up and attacked Bayley doesn't air until next week."

"Hmm, good point. I hadn't thought of that," Sonya said. "I was thinking we'd be working the show tonight with people knowing who we are, but you're right, we've still not been seen on TV apart from in that battle royal. Watch us get there and be told they're not using us this weekend."

Mandy grunted a laugh. "Don't say that, it'll end up coming true."

Although they were nearing Zelina's address, the traffic was heavy and they were making slow progress. To try and stop impatience setting in, Sonya took out her phone and loaded up Twitter. Her routine whenever she went on there was to check her mentions first, just in case she had been tagged in anything worthwhile. She would then move on to checking her timeline, which mainly consisted of news and sports accounts, as well as her fellow NXT wrestlers.

On this occasion, Sonya found in her mentions the usual amount of tweets she had been tagged in by people for no particular reason. Scrolling down the list of mentions, one tweet in particular caught her attention.

'Sonya, are you at the NXT event in Jacksonville tonight? It would be awesome to meet you.'

Sonya saw that the woman who had posted the tweet was named Sarita Lopez. She had added a picture to the message, which showed an attractive Latina with long black hair. She looked to be in her late teens or possibly early twenties, and she was holding a sign with Sonya's name on it in fancy black lettering, along with a rainbow shape in the colours of gay pride.

"Shit, Mand, I have my first fan," Sonya said, overjoyed by the fact.

"Really?" Mandy asked. She was unable to look at the phone as she was currently making a turn into a road that thankfully had a lot less traffic on it.

"I've got a girl on Twitter asking me if I'm at the show tonight and saying she'd love to meet me. She's got gay pride colours on her sign."

"How does she know you're gay?"

"Must have scrolled back through my Twitter or Instagram. It's no secret on there that I support gay pride. I post stuff all the time, as you know."

"Of course," Mandy said with a smile. "It's sweet that you have a fan wanting to meet you. You should make it happen for her."

"You think I can? You think I should?" Sonya asked uncertainly.

"Do I think you can? Sure," Mandy said confidently. "Send her a message and tell her you'll meet her at the entrance to the parking lot or something. As for whether you should, I say why not? You take a couple of minutes out of your day to meet her and shake her hand, you'll probably have a fan for life."