02 ¦ the choice

02: the choice

Khalid - better

'nothing feels better than this'

×

EVENTS that happened in class seldom were talked about after they had happened so I was surprised when Ryland and Eliza came to May and I after the Life Sciences lesson.

May and I were seated under a small tree on a concrete block busy with our phones. During break, May and I rarely talked, she prefered sitting in comfortable silence and reading books on Wattpad. I always pretended that I also enjoyed but I was dying for a conversation inside.

I liked silence but not always.

"Ash," Eliza laughed, her braces sparkling in the sun.

I looked up at the duo who were blocking  the Sun. Ryland and Eliza were amongst the tallest in my grade and having them looking down at me, made me feel inferior.

"Yeah?"

Eliza laughed, "What were you smiling at in class?"

I grinned sheepishly once more. How could they remember that? They didn't seem like the type of people to be interested in silly little things. They were making this ordeal bigger than it was.

"I was reading, I had my phone in my pencil case," I explained to them.

"And you were reading a scene that got you excited," Ryland laughed and I rolled my eyes.

"Oh please."

Ryland and Eliza were usually so reserved and mostly talked to their group of friends during break, never with other people. Ryland was a tall dude with black, curly hair cut into a fade and dark brown ,almost black, eyes. He had a nice and lean body. Much like Eliza, he was one of our elite swimmers in Truth College.

Eliza was the effortlessly good-looking blonde girl who excelled in everything she did. She played sports, she was amongst the top three in the grade and she seemed kind.

I had always been in their class, since the eight grade and boy, I got to experience how it felt to be in class with the smart learners. Knowing that no matter how good you were, they were always better.

I looked up just in time to see Mason De Lange making his way towards us - well, towards Ryland and Eliza because there was just no way that Mason would want to come to us out of the blue.

I almost went into panic mode and my mind was telling me to 'stand the fuck up'.He couldn't see me sitting in this awkward, slouching position. The other part of my brain was telling me to 'calm the fuck down'. 

May noticed this and I saw her eyeing me from my peripheral vision. I could feel my ears burning up and I knew May would see that I was blushing, she was the only one who knew how I blushed.

Mason stood next to Eliza, he looked at May and I.

"Hey guys," he said and my stomach swarmed with butterflies. I'm not too sure if I replied back, I hoped I did, I didn't want to seem like a rude person.