26| very good friends

26: very good friends

Tate McRae - that way

' I don't even know what we are, I don't even know where to start.'

*

We were done pitching up the tent. The sky was setting, Lihle and Ayabonga were preparing the food and the other group had just joined us.

"Why do you have Anwar's hoodie around your waist?" I heard Jade question from inside the tent.

"He offered so I could cover the stain on my butt," I cringed.

It sounded bad but it wasn't. It was just a water stain that had gone brown from the dirt on the rocks in the mountain.

"That's very kind of him," she said and my eyebrow lifted.

"I told you that he isn't how he was in grade eight," I said proudly.

"No man, Ashley, I was being sarcastic. He probably gave you that hoodie so that he can stop being distracted by your butt."

Jade got out of the tent and motioned for me to get in. It was my chance to try and freshen up.

"If this was any other situation, I would have been flattered," I scowled and crawled inside the tent.

I hastily undressed and started wiping myself everywhere with the 'all over baby wipes'. It was really hard to see but I relied on the carefully angled torch that Jade had put outside. She angled it in such a way that I could see inside that tent but people couldn't see my shadow.

I changed my sanitary pad and wore a new set of fresh clothes. I felt cleaner than I was before. Not ultimately clean because there was only so much that baby wipes could do but clean enough.

After packing all my things neatly, I grabbed Anwar's hoodie and emerged from the tent and thanked Jade for looking out for me.

"I'm so hungry and they aren't done cooking," Jade whined and I looked over at the kitchen that was set up on the sand pathway. Sure enough, Lihle and Ayabonga were not done.

"Let me get some Salti Crax for us. I'm so glad I brought snacks," she continued.

"Did someone say snacks?" A person said and I groaned at the too familiar voice.

"Andrew, shush," Jade joked and I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, hey, babe," Andrew said as he maneuvered his way around to stand in front of me.

He was taller than I remembered.

"Hey, Andrew."

Andrew Bergman called me 'babe' just to piss me off, but then again, he called every other girl at school 'babe' too. The fact that we actually had something back then brought shivers down my spine.

Andrew flirted with 99% of the girl population at Truth College and that disgusted me.

"Hey guys!" Tshiamo said as she and one of Jade's friends walked towards us.