21| the aftermath

21: the aftermath

SadBoyProlific - Not Enough

'Sorry that I'm not enough, sorry that I just give up, when the going gets tough, all I ever do is run'

×

I was one of those teenagers, who refrained from doing reckless things. My conscience simply didn't allow me to, I was sometimes ridiculed about how much of a bore I was, but I always stood by my word - regardless of how much of a buzzkill I seemed to be.

That being said, I never did anything that would set my parents off hence why I rarely got  beatings, been scolded or punished. The idea of disappointing my parents didn't sit well with me.

But, recently, I was afraid I had disappointed them.

When my parents returned home, I wasn't sure if they could notice how distraught I was. I didn't feel like myself at all.

"Ashley, let's talk about that bottle of wine that you broke." My father said out of the blue while we were watching TV.

It was a arduous situation for me because I didn't how to begin. How was I going to disclose to them? What was I going to say I was doing in the wine cellar in the first place?

The stare my father gave me was excruciating and I squirmed in my seat.

"What happened kanti?" My mother questioned and I averted my eyes from my parents.

I didn't know what the cost of telling the truth was and unlike some scenarios, I couldn't think of a lie on the spot.

"The wine cellar wasn't locked. I didn't realise that you guys hadn't locked it." I started. My voice was hoarse, my palms were sweaty and my heart was beating at an unbelievably fast rate.

"What did you need in there?"

I opened my mouth and closed it again when no words came out. I felt feeble and at the moment, quite despondent.

"We were going to play hide and seek. I saw that the wine cellar was open and went in. At the moment, I thought that it would be the last place anyone would look because it's very eerie." I said.

I decided not to tell them the truth. First of all, we weren't supposed to be playing spin the bottle and second of all, Darwin and Ryland weren't supposed to be making out in there in the first place. In fact, nobody was supposed to enter the wine cellar except me.

"Ashley, this is not the time for your complicated, english, descriptions." My sister said and I gave her an annoyed look.

"Mind your own business dude. You like ndabas."

Annah nodded with her usual conceited facial expression, "Yes, I do like ndabas especially if they involve you getting into trouble."

"That's enough," My mother reprimanded, "Annah, go upstairs and stay there. I will deal with you later."

I watched Annah, silently retreat up the stairs and for a brief moment, I wished I was her.