24| Starry Nights

24: starry nights

Bazzi - Cartier

'know I'm with you when you're hurting'
*

"It looks like everyone is seated with their groups," Jade told me as we were walking down to the outdoor cafeteria-like area.

After playing hot seat, which seemed to release the almost palpable tension that was present in our group, I changed into my Timbalands since they were more comfortable and durable than my Air Jordans.

We were instructed to take the metal bowls, our plastic cups and spoons to the cafeteria-like area where we would dish up for ourselves before we left to go to our camp site. The food that was in the trays was macaroni and tinned fish. There was also some bread that was put out and juice that looked like it was diluted with water.

I sat on at a wooden table, next to a chubby girl named Nkanyezi. May was used to her and sadly I couldn't say the same. If I didn't already know that May was my best friend, I could say that Nkanyezi and May were the best of friends. That's how close they were. Nkanyezi had caramel coloured skin and dreads. Much like most of the kids in our grade, she was pretty with an easy smile and kind eyes.

Jade was sitting opposite me and next to Zamir Naidoo. Zamir was the only Indian person in our grade. He was quite smart but I noticed that ever since he got himself a girlfriend, he was slacking off. I wasn't going to put the blame on the girlfriend though, I knew that Zamir was going to pick up his socks sooner than later. Zamir had charcoal black hair, dark brown, blemish free skin and lashes to die for. If back then I wasn't so hung up on Mason, I could have taken the time to admire how handsome Zamir actually was.

"Out of all the groups I could have been in, I end up in one with you in." Zamir said to Jade.

Jade swallowed her food, "Oh piss off."

I chucked slightly and put a spoonful of macaroni in my mouth. I instantly grimaced at how disgusting the pasta tasted. It was cold and chewy. It tasted stale and inedible.

I looked down at my bowl.

Groaning, I shoved another spoonful of the gross food and washed it down with the dishwashing water tasting juice.

"Ashley. You're awfully quiet. Is it because you're enjoying the food?" I heard Zamir say and I met his eyes.

"Hardly," I replied.

When Zamir chuckled, I averted my attention to the rest of the group.

Banele was talking to Ayabonga. Banele was a dark skinned boy who had a penchant for fashion and dancing to hip-hop music. It was hard to miss him. He was one of the boys who were known by everyone. Him and I had never talked even if his locker was right next to mine. I could say him and I never conversed because we were in different classes since grade eight but we shared a tutor teacher so there was really no excuse.

I treated him the same way I treated everyone else.

He was just another student at Truth College.

"When I first came to Truth College, I though you guys were snobs." Ayabonga admitted.

"How could we be snobs when we don't even have money?" Banele said and I laughed in my head at how true the statement was.