30| mixed emotions

30|  mixed emotions

Natalie Taylor - Surrender

' my love where are you? '

+

We were back at the base camp, where it all began.

The atmosphere was a little bit different to the last time we were here but it looked as if the instructors wanted to lift up our spirits. I wasn't sure if the other groups heard about what happened to Anwar and Zamir but knowing our group members, they probably couldn't hold themselves. It was like a horse had kicked their chests. They couldn't keep anything in.

Everything had to return back to normal but our group just wasn't the same without Anwar and Zamir.

"Hey guys," Zaza called to us and we all slowly walked over to her.

"I know that the events of last night have managed to scare all of us but I assure you that everything is fine. Zamir and Anwar will be here any moment. I don't think that it be me that tells you what happened to them, but Anwar and Zamir themselves. You can finally let out a breath of relief. When they're back, I want you guys to change into your swimming costumes so that we can go river rafting."

Zaza was not as vivacious as all the other days but I understood why. She was telling us not to worry even though it looked to me as if she was the one who was not doing okay.

Then I heard a commotion behind me, Anwar and Zamir were back and looking...vibrant?

"I've never been happy to see you, idiot," Zamir walked straight to Jade and engulfed her in a big hug.

"The feeling is mutual, dumbass," I heard Jade let out softly and she closed her eyes and embraced Zamir.

I looked at Anwar, everyone was still talking to him and I didn't want to intrude. That, and also the fact that I wanted to talk to him alone.

I saw his eyes wander around, searching for something - someone, probably Jade, but the unexpected happened, his eyes finally landed on me, I felt my heart skip a beat and my breath hitched.

I slowly looked behind me to see if I wasn't going crazy but there was nobody. My eyes made their way over to the brown-eyed boy. His eyes gleamed but I just lifted an eyebrow in confusion. He rolled his eyes and the corners of his mouth turned up. Our eyes broke contact when Ryland came flying towards Anwar and enveloping him in a hug.

Woah, what just happened?

"Oh my word. I can't believe that they're back," Jade beamed and I gave her a wide smile in return.

I was so happy that she was happy, maybe during the course of today or tomorrow, her and Anwar were finally going to talk things out and decide where they want to go to from here.

I had not seen May in three days and I didn't want to admit the blatantly obvious truth. I didn't miss her but as soon as I saw her small, pretty face, a part of me wanted to run over to her but the other part of me just didn't want to. I don't know what it was with me. I was a horrible person.

She was the one who walked over to me but her face revealed nothing at all. It didn't look she missed me either. I was weirded out by it. May was the only friend I'd known. I had been friends with her since the year before we got into Truth College. We met the day when we were called to write our entrance exam and coincidentally, on the first day of school, our mothers parked next to each other but smart Ashley forgot her glasses that day so when May called out to her, she turned, looked straight at her but continued walking without even a wave in her direction.