23| camp company

23: camp company

Tate McRae - All My Friends Are Fake

'Everyone's got someone built custom to give their darkness to, I wish I had someone, could trust 'em, but loyalty don't come for free.'

×

I haven't been camping so I couldn't abhor it as much as I would have liked to. We were going to North West, Vensterskroon to be more exact. A part of me was kind of excited but a part of me feared the journey ahead and I was anxiously waiting for my period to start.

I was distraught throughout the whole bus ride. I couldn't help imagining about how everything was going to turn out but my mind sometimes wandered off to Donell. I scolded myself, it was idiotic of me to ever think that guys like Donell existed.

Very idiotic of me.

After what felt like hours of driving but was only two and a half, we finally arrived at Outward Bound. When I saw the sign at the entrance, my heart sank, I was not mentally prepared for this.

The whole place was dry and unappealing. It looked like a desert, scalding and uncomfortable.

I carefully got out of the bus to join the rest of the grade 10s. When I saw that everyone was unloading their baggage, I followed suit, lifting the heavy bag and propping the strap on my shoulder to make it easier to carry. We were told to pack as light as possible but I packed according to the list and it still felt like I had my whole wardrobe in my bag.

I looked around to see if everyone else was feeling what I was feeling.

Huge mistake.

I locked eyes with Eliza and her face beamed.

"Fuck," I muttered before putting on a wide smile on my face.

"Hey Ashley," she swiftly walked over to me and gave me a side hug.

"Hey Eliza," I responded.

I could feel the strap rubbing against my shoulder through the fabric of my shirt, I felt really uncomfortable but decided against putting the bag down.

"You were awfully silent in the bus. You didn't even speak to May." she lifted an eyebrow.

"I don't know. There was a lot on my mind I guess," I mumbled.

"Has it got something to do with the whole Donell ordeal?" She questioned and I shrugged.

I really didn't want to talk to her. At least not right now. Not for the duration of the whole camp.

In fact, I didn't feel like talking to anyone.

We all put our bags in the required place and walked downhill to an open field.

"Form a circle," a middle aged, petite lady said out loud. She was wearing a blue shirt, jeans and tekkies with a red whistle around her neck.

After a few minutes, a shape resembling a circle was formed. My friends and I dispersed in between everyone so that when groups were chosen, we would be in the same group.