11 ¦ coming around

11: coming around

Dua Lipa - Begging

' All my bones, are begging to beg for you, begging me to beg for your love'

×

not edited, please excuse any errors <3

"Huh?"

That was the only word I could say that would sound coherent at this moment.

I felt my eye twitch and I pulled on my culotte.

"I'm the one you were talking to on Wattpad and on WhatsApp as Darwin." The guy named Donell confessed.

I wasn't quite sure how to reply to his statement. Recollections of all the episodes of Catfish flooded my mind.

Was this how they felt too?

Darwin moved beside me, "Uh, I'm just going to leave you guys to it then."

"No, don't leave," I wanted to shout but no words left my mouth.

I needed to do this alone.

Donell came closer and I just stood where I was.

"I'm sorry, Ash," he said.

His onyx brown eyes showed an indecipherable emotion. I couldn't make out what he was thinking.

Donell's forehead furrowed but I just kept my mouth shut. I was praying to God that He help me keep my cool.

"Let's walk back to the field," I said.

Donell and I walked side by side, at first we were engulfed with a pregnant silence.

"Why?" I asked and I heard Donell sigh beside me. He brushed his slit eyebrow with his index finger and stopped walking.

"When I read your novels on Wattpad, I noticed how real you sounded, as if everything you wrote about, every feeling, you've experienced it. That for me, shows that you are gifted with the art of writing. I wanted to get to know you better but I figured that you wouldn't wanna talk to a black dude like me."

I raised an eyebrow, my mouth agape, "Why would you think that?"

Donell looked down at the grass beneath our feet.

"Because, I figured you like white guys 'cause...." He trailed off.

"Because?"

Donell didn't know me. He didn't know anything about me and now he was making assumptions about me. What does me liking people have to do with anything now?

"Don't pretend like you don't know," he cried out.

"No, I don't Donell," he retorted and I saw him shake his head.

"It's because every female main character in your book is black, and they always  go out with a white guy."