[27]: Old Habits Die Hard

kinda long but not really🤔 sorry for upsetting so many of you on the last chapter 🙊
don't forget to v o t e ! it takes 0.00001 seconds :)

"Henry! Have you seen my keys?" I questioned frantically, rushing about the house before mom and Ryan made an appearance

"Henry! Have you seen my keys?" I questioned frantically, rushing about the house before mom and Ryan made an appearance. I wanted to leave for school without having to see them.

"Mom has them," He finally said.

What? What the hell does she have my keys for?

I quickly ran downstairs, knocking on her bedroom door. This would be the only talking we'd done since the dinner, but I didn't care. I wanted my keys and I wanted them now.

"Where's my car keys?" I questioned as she opened her bedroom door.

"Calm down, Charlotte. I have them. Your father wants to drive you to school," She said.

"You're kidding me, right?" I asked. She shook her head no, now eyeing the man behind me.

"On second thought, I'll walk," I said, pushing Ryan out the way. I made a quick raid throughout the pantry for a cereal bar, then slammed the front door shut.

Of course I could ride with Henry or Brett, but I was too stubborn. Claiming to walk made a bigger statement.

The walk to school was at least twenty-five minutes, but I was already late anyway. I made it down a few blocks before a familiar car pulled up beside me slowly.

"Charlotte, get in the car," He said. I ignored him, pulling my backpack tighter on my shoulders and walking faster.

"Charlotte!" He shouted more aggressively. His voice had shaken me for a minute, but I continued to walk. He finally got out the car, putting it in park in the middle of the road.

"Charlotte, you have to talk to me at some point. I know I haven't been the best father, but I want you to know I'm sorry and I want to fix things between us, even if you'll give me a hard time on the way. You're my daughter."

Maybe I was giving him a hard time. This was the first time he said sorry, rather the first time I let him.

"Then why'd you leave?" I asked suddenly, my voice beginning to break. He didn't speak, but I could tell he was struggling to get an answer out.

"Just, let me take you to school. I'll tell you everything tonight," He sighed. I hesitated for a moment, but finally gave in. As much as I wanted to be angry at him, I couldn't. I missed him, even if I didn't want to admit it.

I circled my way around his black truck, hopping in the front seat. We didn't talk the entire ride, but it was still progress since we were in the same car together without bickering.

"Thanks," I mumbled quietly, getting out the car in the school parking lot.

"Tonight," He reassured me. I nodded, almost sending a soft smile, but I stopped myself. We weren't there yet.