Chapter Three

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. (Mt. 5:8)

Hi everyone! Thank you for reading my story. It's my dream to be an influencer and would mean the absolute world to me if you guys would follow me on TikTok @ _jazzedup_ ❤️ enjoy the story!

***

"Then that's when the crab realizes, 'Hollup, that ain't no hot tub.'" The man says.

Everyone laughs, even me.

I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the party. It was more so an elegant but loose get together. Everyone was civilized and well mannered.

I look to Janice, "I have to admit, I'm actually enjoying myself. I'd even say I'm having fun." I admit.

Janice smiles, "See I told you. Christians can have fun too." She smiles at me.

"I guess you're right," I smile rolling my eyes playfully.

We sit in a comfortable silence for a little while, "I'm going to go get a refill." She says and walks over to the bar.

I can't help but think about God. I always think about him in my free time. Is he disappointed in me? I mean, I'm just having a little fun. I'm not drinking, I'm not swearing, I'm not explicitly showing my body. I'll just pray about this when I get home.

A tall light skin man takes Janice's spot. I try to tell him that the seat is occupied.

"I know your friend was sitting here, but I've wanted to talk to you all night." He says.

I raise my eyebrows.

"Really?" I ask.

"Yeah. I'm just gonna be straight forward. I think you are very beautiful and would like it if you joined me for a dance." He asks me nervously.

I think about it for a minute, but remember that Janice told me not to think but to feel. And I feel like this man is very handsome. So I stand, grab his hand, and lead him onto the dance floor. He follows me with a shocked look on his face.

He grabs my waist and we dance to the slow song currently playing.

"What's your name gorgeous?" He asks staring down at me.

I smile, "Zinovia. Novia or Nova for short." I tell him.

He smiles, "Such a strangely beautiful name." He says.

"I'm Congolese, so..." I inform him.

He nods in understanding.

"What's your name?" I ask, tensing a little as he pulls me closer to himself, but relax after a second.

"Bryan." He answers.

We continue to make small talk while we dance to several songs.

***

Bryan and I dance for about an hour or until my feet started hurting, whichever came first. I was extremely tired and decided to call it a night.

"Jan. I'm gonna head out. I'll call an uber so you don't have to leave early. Nothing happened don't worry. I really enjoyed myself." I tell her quickly since she seemed to be occupied by the large dark chocolate man staring at her lustfully.

"Okay, babe. Love ya." She slurs a little. She's obviously been drinking. Don't say anything, just pray for her.

"Be safe hun. Love you too." I tell her and leave.

I walk out of the building and wait for the uber. I hear someone gasping for air in a nearby alley. I mind my business but as the gasping got louder and the person starts crying, the Jesus in me comes out. I go to see who could potentially need help.

As soon as I look down the alley I see a large man shoot another man, instantly ending his life.

I gasp then mentally facepalm my self for making a noise and quickly move from the alley and return to my spot on the curb anxiously waiting for my uber.

I feel a tap on my shoulder. I squeal lightly squeezing my eyes shut, trying to accept the fact that I'm about to die. I decide to say a short prayer. "Dear Lord. Please don't let it be my time to see you. I mean, of course, I love you and would love to meet you, but I'm too young and pretty to die. Amen." I whisper my prayer.

I hear a quiet but audible snicker.

I slowly turn around and open my eyes and look up to see the same scary man that I have been running into.

"Hi," I say trembling in my feet.

He smirks at me. "Hello, love." His deep voice sending a shiver through my entire body.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?" I ask avoiding eye contact at all costs because if I do make eye contact I'm pretty sure I'll burst into tears.

"I don't know. The view of you is much more pleasurable." He looks me up and down.

"Um. Thank you. I just left a party and am waiting for my U-" He cuts me off.

"Okay. Let's not beat around the bush. You and I both know that you just saw what happened." He tells me, the same smirk still on his face.

How on earth is he smirking right now?

I chuckle nervously, "What are you talking a-" He cuts me off, again.

"You saw me kill the guy in that alley." He acknowledged.

I look up at him in fake shock. "What!? That was you? Really? I had no idea. You know m-" He cuts me off, for the third time in under 10 seconds.

"Here's the deal. You can either come with me or. . . Well, that's really your only option. So let's go." He grabs my waist and begins to pull me.

My face scrunches up, "Hey! Hands off! I am not going anywhere with you." I push him away and cross my arms.

"Okay. If you don't come willingly I'll have to force you." He threatens walking up to me. My neck cranes very far back, due to his tall build and my below average one.

"You will not touch a child of God in any way that they do not approve of," I say clutching my purse to me, feeling inside of it for my pepper spray.

"I suggest you remove your hand from the pepper spray and follow me. Unless you would like my guy to snap your precious friend's little neck." He threatens with the same smirk on his face.

My hand instantly freezes at the mention of Janice. "Okay. Okay. I'll do whatever you want. Just don't hurt her, please." I bow my head.

He gently grabs my chin and lifts my head towards him, I immediately snatch my face from his grasp.

He smirks. "That's all I wanted to hear. Come on." He grabs my arm and takes me through the same alley that he just killed someone in, not even 5 minutes ago.

We get into the car waiting on the other side of the alley and he takes me to, only the precious Lord knows where.

***

Hey. Ain't really got nothing to say.

The next chapter will be a character analysis of Zinovia. So yeah.

Don't take candy from a stranger in a car. Unless it's your favorite.

Peace, Happiness, and Love- Jazz