Chapter 1 Part 1

Autumn Moon Mountain Range, home to mainly fox immortals or fox demons and is renowned for the Great Tree that stands at the central mountain's peak.

This entire mountain range is considered the holy land of all fox immortals and fox demons for it is the place in which most of them start in life.

In the society of fox immortals and fox demons there are several obstacles blocking one from obtaining a stable lifestyle.

If one thinks the challenges of obtaining a stable lifestyle is too difficult and merely wishes to live like a hermit they can choose to be a wild fox that's no different from a common animal.

But should the enticing benefits of a stable life be too great of an attraction to pass up the individual would have to join the working class and most tend to start as early as around ten.

Considering how slow a fox immortal or fox demon ages due to their extreme levels of longevity it couldn't really be considered child labor so long as they are able to comprehend their surroundings and are able to communicate with their peers.

Ideally they would choose to work as matchmakers, those who are responsible for putting individuals who are fated with one another together.

It is often said in the cultivation world that obtaining the blessings of a fox immortal matchmaker would make the Dao companions' love for one another last for an eternity.

And as if to ensure such a claim a matchmaker would occasionally offer the married couples counseling on how they may go about maintaining their relationship.

"...This is bullshit who the hell said working as a matchmaker apprentice is easy pay?"

"Isn't this just busy work...?"

"Down with whoever came up with this program..."

"Less complaining and more working. If you all can't even handle such a small matter all of you can quit thinking about being a matchmaker in the future."

The room was lacking in all manners of decorations aside from a total of 15 desks and one large table positioned to the forefront with a board behind it.

This specific arrangement makes it easy to tell that this room is meant to be a classroom and the children toiling away in front of their desks are none other than students.

As time passes a few students would stand up from their desks and turn in their completed worksheets to the teacher who is sitting in front of the table before walking back to their designated seats.

The teacher dressed in clean white robes is known to the students as Teacher Hào (浩) who is a retired matchmaker after having served his duties for many years.

Even till this day he would offer counseling to those he had put together. One can say he is very much a responsible person for going this far even after retirement.

"Times up. Those who didn't finish take the work home and hand it in tomorrow."

"Teacher Hao isn't it cruel to put us to work so soon?"

"It's only the second day of the semester..."

"Isn't it generally said that rushing to the end is bad? Are you supposed to take time with your date before going off into bed together?"

The vulgar remark causes a good deal of laughter to fill the classroom but upon having his fill of the good mood Teacher Hao clears his throat and looks to the student who had made that remark with a somewhat stern set of eyes.

This student is seated to the far corner of the room.

"Brat you look like the prim type. But I see that looks are as deceiving as they say."

Dressed in a white set of robes with a rather obedient expression on his face the white fox Ao Tian Xue did give off the impression that he was the prim type.

"How could I be anything but proper? I was merely trying to break the ice."

It is true that hardly anyone knew the other in this classroom considering how it was indeed the second day of the semester.

"Since you put yourself on the spot why don't you give me an answer to my question?"

"And that is?"

"What are the requirements to becoming a Heavenly Fox?"

"..."

Thinking about his answer for a brief moment Ao Tian Xue straightens his back and answers-

"1,000 years of cultivation, possessing handsome or beautiful looks, and be as thick, long, and hard as they come."

A few snickers can be heard here and there from the final bit.

"Your finally bit can be discarded but you are right about the 1,000 years of cultivation and also possessing good looks."

The only thing fox immortals and fox demons do not lack is good looks but despite how handsome Teacher Hao is he would be considered average in this society that is swarming with handsome men and beautiful women.

"Did I miss something then?"

"What's the purpose of having 1,000 years of cultivation?"

"...It's around the time in which a fox immortal or fox demon gain a total of nine tails."

"Correct. But amongst our numbers there are a few who still fail to obtain nine tails after 1,000 years. Having nine tails is considered a rarity."

Making sure to emphasis the final part of possessing nine tails to be a rarity Teacher Hao's words caused the classroom to sink into silence.

"Amongst the 15 of you only one might possess nine tails in the future, two if we're lucky."

This means to say only one or two students in a classroom may become a Heavenly Fox in the future.

The so-called Heavenly Fox are any fox with nine tails and those with this status are generally the wealthy and talented as most of this world's artists are made up of Heavenly Foxes.

"So one or two of us will have a good life in the future..."

"Hmm kinda gloomy when you think about it..."

"...Since I answered Teacher Hao's question can I ask one myself?"

"Go ahead."

"What is a Dao He?"

Though he didn't know whether the dream last night was real or not the name "Dao He Cang Yue" continues to stick in Ao Tian Xue's mind.