Chapter 2 Part 4

"..."

Shady, that was the first word that comes to the black fox's mind when describing the white fox before it.

"Ahem."

Clearing his throat Ao Tian Xue formulates his thoughts before speaking.

"This one is the humble emissary of Dao He Cang Yue sent here on a special mission."

Since it was Dao He Cang Yue who had sent him to this forest he might as well use their name to guarantee his own safety.

Although he didn't know what the title of "Dao He" is meant to symbolize he can gleam from what Teacher Hao had said that it should be a title bestowed upon those who have transcended the status of a Heavenly Fox.

Just that alone should make it significant as Heavenly Foxes are considered the apex status a fox immortal is able to obtain. As for fox demons the highest status possible is the opposing Fallen Heavenly Fox.

"Wh-Wh-What did you say? Dao He?"

Hearing the white fox's identity and their backer the black fox widens her eyes with what seems to be shock.

"Exactly."

Feeling very pleased with himself Ao Tian Xue puts on a smug smile but in the next instance-

"What's a Dao He?"

"...!"

Hearing this question and seeing the black fox tilting her head Ao Tian Xue nearly trips over nothing.

(Your mother! If you're asking me who the hell do I ask!?)

Cursing in his head Ao Tian Xue inwardly sighs before calming down.

Considering how this is a forest it's basically the countryside, why would the residents of this forest know anything about what a Dao He is?

"If you don't know what a Dao He is then forget it. You should at least know what a Heavenly Fox is right?"

"Of course. The status granted to nine-tailed foxes that have cultivated for a thousand years."

"Correct, and Dao He is the title granted to those that have gone beyond a Heavenly Fox. It should be a sin to not know about this."

"Oh? Then why is the emissary of such an important figure so fat?"

"Fat?"

A vein appears on Ao Tian Xue's head. He didn't choose to be fat. This was the body granted to him the moment he woke up in this world.

"I'm not fat because I want to be! I just ate too much to reminisce about home! So what I ate wasn't simple food! It was stuff filled with fond memories of my homeland! And having a selfish body like mine means I'm eating well! Hey don't give me that look!"

As soon as a hint of doubt appears on the black fox's face Ao Tian Xue takes a step forward and goes on a long lecture.

"There's plenty of benefits to being fat. In the winter having more fat means I can keep myself warm and in cases that I don't have access to food my body will naturally begin to burn the fat to keep itself alive."

Rather quickly the black fox grows tired of hearing this and-

"Get to the point before I decide to have a taste of your so called selfish body!"

"..."

Turning silent the white fox straightens his posture once more.

"My point is I come from a faraway land and am unfamiliar with the customs of these parts and without knowing more about this place I can't begin my work."

"And what is your work?"

"It's a secret. How could I possibly give away such sensitive information to a stranger?"

"..."

Sinking into thought the black fox looks to the blue skies.

She didn't think to take the white fox's words as the truth so their identity is still questionable. But on the off chance that they are indeed the emissary of some powerful figure that stands above the status of a Heavenly Fox it meant she couldn't afford to offend them.

"Fine I'll give you some information in exchange for something else."

"Fair enough. But what do you want?"

If Ao Tian Xue had to be honest he really couldn't hope to provide much.

"My cultivation base is nearly at Foundation Establishment but without a good cultivation technique I can't take the final step."

"..."

This is rather easy for Ao Tian Xue.

The Autumn Moon Mountain Range gives every fox a cultivation technique that will let them make a breakthrough into the Foundation Establishment realm but after that breakthrough the cultivation technique is as good as trash.

The reason why he didn't agree to this deal immediately is because he didn't know how much worth this cultivation technique has in this land.

If it was worth a lot more than the information that can be provided to him wouldn't he be losing out big time?

That being said he needed some way to take the initiate in their dealing.

"..."

Maintaining an expression of thought the white fox is waiting for the black fox to give him something to latch onto.

Since he had come off as an important figure the other side should have some doubts to his claims.

"What's wrong? Don't tell me the emissary of such an important figure doesn't have access to good cultivation techniques. Come to think of it your cultivation base is only at the ninth level of Qi Condensation without a sign of it advancing by another step."

"Piss off your little lord here simply has too many good cultivation techniques to choose from. I'm merely trying to decide which one is best suited for someone of your meager talent."

Perhaps it was because he was truly in a foul mood at being called fat but Ao Tian Xue has noticed that his speech patterns are a lot more aggressive than usual so he considered it to be a good thing that the person he is dealing with seems to be rather childish.

"Meager talent? I'll have you know that this lady is considered the lord of this forest."

"..."

That may very well be true considering how she has driven a group of over 20 humans away and managed to even kill a few of them.

"You consider yourself talented do you? Then tell me why you can't take on a human form."

"Isn't that because us beasts can't take on a human form unless we reach the Nascent Soul realm? Eee?"

Realizing that there was a contradiction in her argument the black fox constricts her eyes.

"Hmph this is why your talent is only so-so."

Seeing as how the other side has realized the contradiction in their own argument Ao Tian Xue smirks but inwardly-

(Can't take on human form unless they reach the Nascent Soul realm? This is odd...)

The moment a fox enters the first level of Qi Condensation they should be able to take on human, that is norm in the Autumn Moon Mountain Range.

"You're clearly only at the ninth level of Qi Condensation so how are you maintaining a human form?"

An idea appears in the white fox's head on how he can take the initiative in their dealing.

"Because I'm the emissary of a Dao He. The techniques I cultivate can't possibly be anything but the best. Taking on human form prior to the Nascent Soul realm is as easy as flipping a hand."