Chapter 16- A Mountain Lion

Sawyer's POV:

"So, you have no idea where Scott is?", I asked, quirking an eyebrow.

He groaned, "No, but I will keep bugging the crap out of him until he answers his damn phone." He dialed Scott's number one last time, Scott finally picking up. "Scott! Did you get my text messages?!"

"Yeah, like all nine million of them.", he responded over the phone.

"Well, Lydia's MIA, and Jackson looks like he has a time bomb inserted in his face, which I would be perfectly okay with, but you have to do something!", I yelled at him, well more at Stiles's phone, but technically I was still yelling at the puppy-dog-eyed idiot.

"Like what?! Look, I'll deal with it later. Bye." The line went dead. Stiles angrily shoved the phone back in his bag, grumbling profanities under his breath.

"You know, it's Allison's birthday, and she's missing too. They probably just skipped together.", I told him.

His head shot up, "You couldn't have told me that earlier!?"

I just rolled my eyes, "Come on, butthead. We have to get to class."

"Did you just call me butthead?", he questioned, amusement clear in his voice.

"Yup.", I grinned, popping the 'p'.

He chuckled in response, "Really? I could think of a lot better words, like hot" true "sexy" true "Greek-God" half true "future boyfriend" tr- WAIT WHAT?!

"HUH?!", I choked out.

He gave me a flat look, "Is it really that hard to believe someone would date me?"

"No, I mean who?", I asked, tears collecting in my eyes. It's going to be Lydia, or even if it's not Lydia it won't be me.

A panicked look crossed his face, "I can't tell you.", he said, looking away.

"Stiles! We've been best friends since diapers, and you can't tell me who you have a crush on?!", I carried on like a little kid, even though I'd rather be more than friends.

"Just drop it okay?", he muttered, blushing a tiny bit. Whoever he likes, he likes her a lot. 

"Fine, but don't think I won't get it out of Scott.", I smirked. Scott's a terrible liar, he twitches his nose when he lies. "So are we studying again today?"

His cheeks tinted pink, "Again?"

My eyes widened, "I mean you don't have to! I'm not trying to force you into helping me study! Uh, sorry, I-" Stiles cut off my rambles.

"I'm fine with it, I just wanted to know if you were.", he corrected.

I snorted, "Well, I am the one who asked you. Plus, I think I could use a little more help with chemistry."

"Y-Yeah, chemistry.", he squeaked out.

"I hope you don't mind, but I wanted to check on Lydia after school."

"Nope, don't mind at all, Lydia first, then chemistry.", he babbled out.

Lydia's mom swung open the door, "Oh, hello Sawyer! Who's this?"

"Hi Ms. Martin, this is Stiles! Could we see Lydia?", I chirped. Ms. Martin was pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

"She took a little something to ease her nerves, so just go right in.", she informed us, leading Stiles and I to Lydia's bedroom, which was painted pink, big surprise. "Honey, Sawyer and Stiles are here to see you."

She rolled over in her pajamas, which was more like lingerie if you ask me. How do people even sleep in that?! "What the hell is a Stiles?", she muttered, continuing to examin her nails. Her mother gave us, well Stiles more likely, an apologetic look before shuffling out of the room. "What are you two doing here?"

"We wanted to see if you were doing okay.", Stiles answered.

"Why?", Lydia wondered, patting the bed next to her, Stiles immeadiately rushed over to her side.

"Because we were worried about you.", I said softly, placing myself on comforter beside Stiles.

"So, how are you feeling?", the dorky boy next to me added on.

"I feel faaantastic.", she drawled out, leaning into Stiles so that her face was a mere few inches away from her own. He basically looked like he was about to start hyperventalating because of the close distance between them. I balled my fist at my side, causing my knuckles to go white. I guess he still likes her, and he just didn't think I knew? Maybe she's who he was talking about earlier. 

Trying to change the subject, I stood up to grab the orange pill bottle sitting on her nightstand, "Woah Stiles, look at this! That's a lot to handle, she's so high right now!", I smirked.

He took it from me, reading the perscription, "I bet you can't say 'I saw Suzy in a shoe shine shop' ten times fast."

A determined look crossed her face, "I saw Shuzy-", she frowned. "I shaw-" Her eyes glazed over, as if remembering. "I saw."

"What Lydia? What did you see?", I crouched down in front of her, my face clearly expressing my concern and worry.

Stiles leaned towards her, "Was it something like a mountain lion?"

"A mountain lion.", the poor girl reapeated with a distant look.

I pressed her further, "Did you actually see a mountain lion, or are you just saying that because it's what the police told you?"

"A mountain lion.", she repeated for the second time.

Stiles held up the stuffed giraffe from her shelf, "What's this?"

She tilted her head, "A mountain lion."

I let out a small chuckle, "You're so drunk right now." Her body collapsed, her face falling right into Stiles's lap, making his honey eyes go wider than I've ever seen them, his posture riggid, and breathing erratic.

I could already feel the tears burning in my eyes, "I'll wait downstairs.", my voice barely above a whisper. Tears were freefalling down my face like niagra falls by the time I made it down the stairs. 

"Honey, what's wrong?", Ms. Martin asked, dropping the knife she was using to chop tomatoes to come over to me. I couldn't even form a proper sentence, so she just held me as I cried. "Is it about that boy you came in with? I could see the way you looked at him, you know." I nodded my head, another wave of sobs washing over me. She held me for a bit more until my sobs subsided, although my eyes were still glassy. Lydia's mom dampened a white washcloth in the sink, using it to wipe the smeared mascara from my cheeks. "I could also see the way he looked at you. Whether he knows it yet or not, he does have some sort of feelings for you, I can tell, but for now just keep your head high. Don't let a boy make you cry, if anything, he should be the one crying over a pretty girl like you. Everything will work itself out in the end, I promise."