2. Rocks & Pebbles

Her muscles tensed, stance shifting lower, colder. Her foot moved forward, silent in the air, and she pressed her back against the cold wall behind her; just as she'd been taught.

His guard was down, as much as it would ever be.

Attack.

"Feitan!" Rein leapt onto his small back and wrapped her arms around his neck, quickly locking her fingers in the crooks of her elbows in hopes that she wouldn't be thrown off. Again.

"Wha- Get off!" Feitan shouted, breaking her hold easily. Gripping her upper arm, he hauled her over his head and sent her flying towards the wall in an instant.

Rein, used to this same exact procedure now, sighed. Little had changed since she'd started her campaign to jump-attack Feitan whenever he least suspected it. She'd gotten better, of course, but after months worth of doing this, he'd improved as well. Now it only meant that Feitan was more aware of his surroundings, and while she was proud of the fact that she'd even managed to jump on, she could never stay. Landing, she dusted off her hands, glancing at Feitan. While Rein hadn't made much progress in the actual attack, she smiled to see that she had managed to pull down his painted bandana today, revealing more of his face.

Feitan scoffed across the room. "Next time you not so lucky." In a flash, he appeared in front of her face. He stuck his hand up, showing pointed nails before scratching the tip of her nose with his pointer finger. A bead of blood appeared. "You need to get better." He pulled up his bandana with one hand, adjusting it so the simple skull marking in front appeared smooth.

Rein let him leave. Despite all those years of being with the Phantom Troupe, their skills never ceased to amaze her. But here, a high level of skill was normal. Superhuman speed, agility, strength, or rare Nen ability, they all had something. Of course, they were still her quirky family: Feitan was just... Feitan, Machi just Machi, and Chrollo just Chrollo, and so many more. Right, they were the closest thing she had, and it sometimes felt as if they were only human themselves. But they all excelled in some way.

Between overall lack of quality in both physical and set Nen ability, it'd be a long time before she could even come close to comparing with any of them.

"Fell off of Feitan again, kid?"

Rein scowled at Phinks, who was standing in the doorway. "I didn't fall, he grabbed me and threw me at the wall. There's a difference."

Phinks shrugged, and walked in. "Either way, at your rate, you're never going to even get close to doing whatever it is you want to do." Something in his stride suggested he was up to trouble, or at least considering it. "But wanna know something?" He set himself down next to her, devilish grin on his face. Huh. Phinks smiling. A rare sight. "Fei's ticklish."

She couldn't think. "No."

"Believe it, kid," Phinks laughed cruelly, pounding a fist into his palm. "I've known him since Meteor City. Go for the elbows."

"He's ticklish?" Rein started to laugh along with Phinks. "He can't possibly— This is great!" She could imagine it: Jumping on Feitan using Zetsu so he wouldn't sense her, and grasping at his elbows...then what? She would fall back, Feitan would pull out his sword in a state of ticked rage, and he would...he would...oh.

Rein brought her fingers to her throat. As much as she loved playing around with Feitan, she valued her own life more. "He'll probably try to kill me though. Wanna help?"

Phinks let loose a snort. "Seeing your progress so far, I won't have a choice but to help."

Rein dropped her jaw in mock offence. Fishing out a chunk of rock from her skirt pocket, she tossed it at his head. He jumped up to dodge it, causing her to grunt in frustration. "Take that back!"