53. Green Grape & Eyeliner

They all sat in the makeshift tent, tense and unsure how to proceed. Rein and Feitan had been swept away from them right under their noses, and they hadn't been able to do anything about it. And if their kidnapper had been the arrow-user, there was no telling what had happened. It was comforting to think Feitan was there, but still, a small history of kidnapping in the Phantom Troupe had shown them just how dangerous it could be, even if the one taken was the strongest of them all.

"Do you... do you think they will be okay?" Zushi's gaze was dimmer than usual. The others raised their heads at his voice, but he made no attempt at eye contact. "They will be, won't they?"

"Absolutely," Shalnark affirmed, though anyone could tell he was saying so just for the sake of it. "There's no need to worry."

They sat there and worried all the same. There just wasn't anything they could do at the moment. They'd only seen the general direction the two had disappeared to, but given that most of the island happened to be in that direction, it didn't help. The attacker had probably taken them to a place without people, but there were many open plains scattered throughout Greed Island, not to mention forests, deserts, and flat seaside. Both their rings had been confiscated by Shalnark, so they had no way to track their whereabouts either.

"It's my fault," Machi stated plainly. "I couldn't connect one of my nen threads to them in time. I apologize."

Lucky shook his head, his nen docile along with him. Why had it died down just now? He knew that some of his destructive aura had been released in the city, when he was flustered, but it hadn't been quiet immediately after that. He couldn't help but wonder whether it was his unluckiness that had caused such a thing to happen. It had always been that way, affecting the people around him once he allowed them to get close. He clenched his teeth and shook his head again. "It's that arrow-user's fault this happened," he said, voice firm. "No one else's."

The archer, the one who had messed up Shalnark's knee and had almost succeeded in landing a fatal blow to Lucky. The boy hugged his knees. "I really hope Rein and Feitan-san are safe."

Kalluto's grip on his sleeves let up as he inclined his head and let out a soft, "Yeah."

They sat still, not knowing how to react, and itching to do something they very well knew they had no means of doing. All they could do was hope, but what good would that do? But hoping was the only thing they could accomplish, and so that was what they did.

Feitan didn't so much as growl a greeting when he made his way into the tent, disheveled and dragging two bodies with him. "Why you all sitting? Get out," he snapped, throwing the unfamiliar body onto a chair and taking a length of rope to securely tie him up so he wouldn't escape.

"Feitan?" Shalnark's mouth was agape. He sputtered something about the stranger and the blood dripping to the ground before finally settling on: "Where were you guys for the past two hours?"

He ignored him and set the girl onto the floor second, making sure her bleeding shoulder didn't brush against the ground. Just as he was about to let go, she stirred, her eyes beginning to open. He let go quicker. Feitan looked at the rest of the group. "Get out."

With quick glances at the others and another order from Feitan, they all did just so, rushing out with an air of confusion, but also relief. He didn't seem to want to talk about anything, and the man he'd brought in was most likely the attacker, but questions would have to be pushed to later.

They had all just exited when Rein pushed herself off from the ground, brushing the dirt off her face before suddenly gasping and whipping around, only relaxing when she saw Feitan. "You're okay."