29. Not Like This

Machi and Rein stepped onto the airship, and Hisoka stepped out, trying to catch the woman's gaze in a coy manner that didn't match his nature at all. She ignored the advances with a firm slam of the door, successfully separating herself and Rein from the likes of him. Of course—her gaze now landed on Lucky, sitting on the seat closest to the door—that left them alone with him instead.

Machi trusted Lucky had no ill intent. He just didn't seem like that kind of person, to mess around with or take advantage of anybody. If anything, he was more on the meek side in terms of dealing with people. It was just his aura was so destructive, with the suffocation and the crumbling buildings. She'd tried to convince Hisoka to leave him behind at Lingon, but he insisted, saying he would kill the captives and Rein if she refused to comply with his request. Thus, Lucky made his way onto the ship, much to her dismay.

So much could go wrong with him there. This was complicated machinery; if any one gear malfunctioned, it could instantly result in their doom. They were fortunate nothing had caught fire or spontaneously combusted on the way to the exchange.

Needless to say, she guided Rein to the seat that was as far away from him as possible. Though he tried to mask it, a brief shadow of hurt feelings showed on his face before he waved it away. Machi ignored it.

"So, Pinky," Lucky looked to Rein as well, and suddenly appeared perplexed. "Uh." He cleared his throat. "Red," he greeted.

Rein rubbed at her eyes, trying to rub away the scarlet.

Machi looked at her. Over the shouting and the realization that the chain user recognized Rein, she hadn't fully been able to pay attention, especially with the injured at her side. When had Rein started to cry? "Did you get," she didn't mention the tears specifically, "those when you were yelling?"

"The Chain User called him trash," Rein said, quiet. "He said that."

Machi nodded, and looked out the window. "Uvo wasn't the nicest person in the Troupe, and he definitely had his flaws." She paused for a moment. "But he wasn't a bad guy."

Even without turning her head to him, Machi could tell Lucky was observing them and listening in on the conversation, trying to piece things together. "So?" she said.

He jolted.

Her gaze tore directly through him. "You spoke to us, though with the wrong names. Did you have a question?"

"Uh," he said, recovering from being so suddenly called out. "How did the exchange go? You know, the one I wasn't invited to?" His expression deadened for a moment before it returned to normal. "What happened?"

Rein waved Lucky over to their window, unaware of the chaos he could cause. She pointed out Chrollo. "That's the leader of the Spiders."

"Danchou?"

Rein seemed surprised at the correct title he'd placed. "Yeah..."

She proceeded to explain the conditions the chain user had placed on his heart, how he wouldn't be able to interact with another one of the Troupe until he had gotten the Nen restriction removed. Hisoka was a traitor and not a real Spider, therefore Chrollo could interact with him. Hisoka was there for a fight, but wouldn't be able to get as he pleased. How tragic.