45. Greed Island

The grass swayed an unearthly green as they stepped out into the game. The two who'd never been there before could only gaze, breath taken.

"This is all virtual?" Lucky asked slowly.

"That's what they're trying to pass it off as," replied Shalnark, making sure they were following him and leading them into the trees. "But it's actually in the real world, just a tiring boat ride off the coast of Yorknew state. It's a Nen-based transportation method!"

Zushi nodded, eyes focused as if he was meticulously taking mental notes, as he most likely was. "Which type would that ability belong to?"

Shalnark seriously considered his question, deep in thought. "It really depends on the method you're using. If it's teleportation by means of gates or something alike, conjurer or manipulator. If you transport something by releasing your aura away from you, emitter. If you don't use either of these methods, probably specialist." He smiled at him. "Why? Are you considering your Hatsu, little boy?"

"Osu! But from your deduction, I see I still have much to learn!" Zushi stopped to bow. "Also, uh... could you refrain from calling me that? Please. No."

Shalnark laughed as he always did. It was never demeaning, never insulting. It just happened to be that he was sunshine and found the urge to shed it on others. He apologized quickly, light.

"Good. I'm nearing ten years of age now!" he declared.

"Ten? If that's the case, I have some good news for you." Shalnark refused to tell them what he meant with a knowing smirk that played at his eyes. Rein tried to pressure it out of him, with half-hearted threats and a few attempted punches, all of which he easily blocked. As he led the group further into the woods, they came to a stop at the base of a massive cliff.

"We moved base to keep track of the Nen remover," Shalnark explained, motioning towards them to approach the rock face. He pulled back a curtain of ivy to reveal a short passageway to an open area. Rays of light peeked through the other side and shone in their eyes when they stepped out beneath the rock. There was an open cliff face on one side with a rocky area next to it, a mix of reef and sea down the hill, and lush forest in between. "So we're holing up in here for now. It's your training space too!"

Feitan's eye twitched.

"Machi!" Rein suddenly shouted, swearing she saw a flash of pink amidst the grass. She broke into a dash towards to where she thought the woman was, and with a shrug at the other, Lucky and Zushi raced after her as well.

As soon as they were gone, Feitan pinched Shalnark's ear and yanked him down to his level. "This is my training space," he hissed, breath furious. "Mine."

He only laughed as he tugged his ear away from his iron grip. "Sorry, Fei," he said, clearly not sorry at all about stealing the place they'd found together before the Exam had begun, "but it was the perfect location, you have to understand." He ran off after them, also shouting Machi's name and leaving Feitan scowling in his dust.

When Shalnark caught up with the group, he was faced with a dilemma. Not the dilemma behind him—he would deal with angry Feitan later—but instead, one concerning someone he had completely forgotten to inform them about.

"You're not Machi," Rein stated, tilting her head at their newest member.

"And you aren't supposed to be here," Kalluto returned, his stance already protected and ready to attack.

"Yes she is!" Shalnark interrupted, waving their hands at both of them to stop, calm down, and listen. With no advanced, set-in-stone Hatsu, Rein would have been at a disadvantage, but from the way her footing had been shifted like it always did before attack, he knew that she'd been ready to try and take the Zoldyck on. "I'll introduce you. This is Kalluto!" Shalnark exclaimed, grabbing the child by the shoulders to prevent any thoughts of escape. "He's replacing Hisoka as number four. His Hatsu ability is pretty cool too, and since he's already chosen, I think it's safe to say: feel free to ask him if you have questions!"