69. Scarlet Nocturne: Lie

Her heart felt lighter, so much lighter, but it was still chained and caged, slightly relieved but not nearly as close to being free as it should have been. Realizing this, Rein glared at him with a newfound intensity, prompting Kurapika to explain himself.

"I took off the restriction I left on you during our time at Yorknew," he swiftly stated. "I'd forgotten it was still placed around your heart."

"No," she seethed. "Both chains. Take them both."

There was a fleeting hesitation on his face, and for a brief moment she allowed herself the fantasy of believing he would listen. A slight inclination of the head convinced her otherwise. "I can't do that."

Her fist flew forward before she could even comprehend it, but a swift hand stopped her wrist. Killua's grip tightened as electricity set her hair on edge, a warning to calm down and not be rash; to not die. They'd avoided it just in time to keep the chain from acting, and only because he was so quick. If it had been anyone else or if he'd been just a tad farther, it may have been too late for Kurapika to call back his chain before it pierced her heart. Right. She had to control herself.

"And why not?"

Stars, her words hurt to force out, restrained power quivering at the back of her throat.

He opened his mouth and closed it again.

"Because you'll attack."

"Attack who?"

Kurapika hesitated once more, and his head turned to the side. "...me."

"So? What? You're careful? Afraid?" Unwilling to let him answer, her voice rose volumes and shut him out completely. "Afraid, are you? Afraid I'll be able to beat you, like Fei, like Uvo, like Paku—stars, you only kill the people you're afraid of because... because...!" She didn't know why, but Rein loathed every word dripping from her mouth.

"You don't understand. I can't fight you. I will not fight you. And..." He raised his eyes. "I kill for vengeance. I have a solid reason to do what... what I did."

"You..." Her argument was weak. Nen chains painfully present in her chest, she broke eye contact. Her voice was quiet, whimpering, on the edge of breaking. "...but you..."

"Lucky." Folding his hands behind his back respectfully, Kurapika turned.

Lucky had been silent until now, his fingers gripping Zushi and Kalluto's shoulders tightly to warn them to do the same. There was much turmoil in them over what part of them had been lost, but they stood still and quiet, telling themselves that this was Rein's battle. And in it, they would not interfere. Throat dry and eyes suddenly dehydrated, he gave a small nod to indicate he'd heard him.

"You must have come along because you've prepared for your collaboration with me. It is for the best, after all."

"What?"

"Your Nen." Kurapika appeared surprised that he'd been wrong. "Didn't you come along for that purpose? I wanted to study your Nen and how to best use it in it's docile state to ensure we both remain safe during the process. If I'm not mistaken, there are certain conditions that apply, but once you've moved past that, your Nen will be capable of bringing back my... the Kurta Clan," he instantly replaced. "Won't you cooperate? I see no downsides-"