40. Phase Four

So from now on (recap) you guys will try and find the dude texting Kurapika.

Are they clues? Are they only red herrings? Real or distraction? Is the culprit actually foreshadowed in this chapter or am I just messing with you? Try and figure things out until the reveal (which won't be for, uh, idk, a bit).

"This way, please," Kite instructed, turning a soft heel and leading the group into the dense forest. He pointed at a clearing, and the tall building which he was referring to was near impossible to see from the thick grove around it. "Your task is to enter that tower. The only acceptable method is with these keys," he said, holding one up to a splotch of light as an example. "And the only beings with these are those cats."

Everyone's eyes veered to where he was gesturing behind them. On the ledge of the slope they had all just come down perched rows of cats of all different sizes and colors, but they all had one thing in common; the simple metal key tied snugly around their necks.

In an instant, the group was chasing after the animals, and the cats were expertly fleeing, not letting the applicants even get close to them. It was complete chaos within a matter of seconds.

Unable to hold it in, Kite tipped his head back and laughed. "You have until nightfall," he chuckled as the others ran madly about him. "Working in a group is tolerated and if it's agreed, you may use one key per group to enter. I wish you the best of luck and skill."

*     *     *

Chasing after the creatures had been far from successful. They were too quick and seemed to attack as soon as anyone made it close. Cats, after all, were naturally faster than humans, and animals—especially trained or wild ones—also used the aura around them for their everyday survival. Nen-powered cats were difficult indeed.

Lucky was covered in all sorts of scratches and bruises. A few had been from claws, but most were from tripping or unknowingly walking into trees. "I'm beat," he announced, trying to plop down to the ground.

It wasn't long before another approached their group. "Hey, could I join the party?" a man asked, walking up to them with his hands settled warmly upon his round stomach. He smiled. "I saw the commotion and thought I might as well join."

"Oh, uh, sure," Lucky responded, scrambling back to his feet. He didn't notice the glare Killua was giving the man from behind him.

"Thanks, happy to work with you!" The man held out his hand, brown and thick, lined with age. As they were shaking, he started introductions. "I'm a veteran here, actually. This is my thirty fifth time at the Hunter Exam!"

"I... see," Lucky said politely, pulling back. "Well, that's certainly a very good..."

"Usually I call out to the newbies first to try and help them out nearer to the start of the Exam, but it's just been hectic, huh? I'm Tonpa. Let's have fun working together! You know, I have a plan on how to beat this phase, since it's looking pretty tough. We should team up to make it work! Obviously you need to trap the cats with force or kill them, there's no other way to get the key-" As Tonpa continued to chat with him, someone else approached their group from behind.

*     *     *

Killua was buying none of Tonpa's act; he hadn't the first time, and he certainly wouldn't now. Hiding behind Lucky, he was more concerned about the fact that he couldn't see Rein or Zushi anywhere. As soon as the man had come, he'd gotten so careless as to forget his surroundings. He was sure they were alright. But he had to admit, the feeling he got from these woods certainly wasn't safe.

"Hey," Killua whispered, bringing Zepile closer. "You see where those two went?"

"What?" he whispered. He looked around to see Rein and Zushi were missing and tried to pinpoint where they were at, but there was no sign of them. With the dense forest, it was hard to tell if anyone else was nearby. He looked worried for a second as he bit his thumbnail. "If it's those two, they'll probably be fine. Maybe they saw a cat and went off or something."